will add/adhd techniques combat AED side effects?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Woodland

Reaction score
I am curious to know if anyone has tried using the same techniques for ADHD in efforts of regaining overall cognitive function? The side effects of these AED's can often mimic ADHD symptoms with respect to memory, comprehension, speech and other aspects. Obviously, these can have a negative impact on studying, work performance and many other aspects of day to day living. Being that my Rx works fine (Lamictal), I don't want to change it unless I absolutely have to. However, I also know that my GPA will not reflect my true abilities if I have to continue to deal with these side effects. This is why I have considered utilizing a "self study" program for ADHD but I would like to know if anyone has tried this and, if so, do they feel that it was beneficial.

Steven

I do neurofeedback 2x a week and I know that many with ADHD do it as well.---LMT

Nutritional changes has also been proven to help with ADHD and seizure control.

Years ago I was diagnosed with ADD. I've always wondered if it was just the side-effects of my Tegretol.

I was given the opportunity to get rid of the tegretol and I did. My sophomore year in HS, my Rx was changed to include Tegretol and my GPA dropped like a rock. Eventually, I was in a position where I was taking 800mgs lamictal and 900mgs of tegretol. Long story short, I completely eliminated the tegretol and the lamictal dropped to 600mgs. I went from two drugs totaling 1,700mgs down to one drug at 600mgs and, ironically, it was a lessor dosage of a drug that I was already on in the first place.
Tegretol was bad for me. It just got to the point that I had had enough and placed myself through a "detox" with the idea of at least decreasing the dosage of both. I did not believe that I would reduce my Rx by almost 2/3rds. I knew that tegretol had the worst side effects of the two which is why I chose to reduce that Rx first. I certainly did not expect to eliminate it, but I am glad that I did.

Tegretol was given to Rebecca when she was a Freshman in HS. She began to have vision problems, and of course the neurologist did not believe it had anything to do with the medication. She had to have an aide with her at all times. It was an awful period of her life. She was only on 300mg at the time too.

Once it was cleared from her system, we moved on to a new drug and new odd side effects.

Hi Woodland, welcome to the forum. :hello:

It's pretty common for people with epilepsy to be experiencing cognitive difficulties either from post-ictal haze or side effects from AEDs.

A regular 9/hrs of sleep every night and neurofeedback helped my wife the most to recover her faculties from a period when she was experiencing extreme cognitive deficits (and high seizure activity).

Back
Top Bottom