Wondering

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yellowbug

New
Reaction score
Hello, I am 17 and have had Epilepsy since i was 8 years old. I have been on several medications and have been under control for most of my life. I have grand mals but only if i am getting a shot, tb, bloodwork, and test of that sort, or under extream stress. I was wondering if anyone else has these problems.

Hello Yellowbug-

I do know that stress can cause seizures. My step-daughter was telling us about a girl in her class that had a seizure just by someone talking about needles. This was the first time I had heard of the thought of needles causing a seizure. I would think that if there is a fear of needles, it would cause stress and the stress would cause the seizure. Just a thought.

Hi yellowbug, welcome to the forum. :hello:

No similar experience here. Does the sight of blood stress you out?

I don't have seizures because of needles, but I do have seizures when I am extremely stressed. When I had midterms a couple of weeks ago, I had a lot more seizures than I normally have.

That kind of reminds me of a time I was playing fastpitch softball and I got hit I was batting and got hit in the elbow with a pitch (very, very fast pitch) I did have a seizure. I don't know why I had a seizure. But I went down almost as soon as I was hit. Maybe it stressed my body out enough to make me seize, or maybe it was a non epileptic seizure. I don't know. That was over the summer and I still have no answers I probably never will...just wanted to share that story with you...:oops:

Anyway, back on subject, maybe it is because, like Bernard and Tinasmom said, stress? That's all I could think of...

yes the site of blood does... but just talking about them can too. But before I got epilepsy i was not scared of needles. I was fine with them. One day I know that I will want to have kids but how will I be able to if I have this problem.

Hi Yellowbug -
Welcome...
I know that I will want to have kids but how will I be able to if I have this problem.
That is a hurdle you will deal with when you are ready. There is help out there for phobias. Have you discussed this with your doctor? I have read about great success in this area. It is just a matter of finding the help. Tricky at times.

It seems to me that if you are only having seizures under specific cirsumstances (stress or psych related), your seizure threshold is pretty high. EEG neurofeedback might be enough to strengthen normalized brain function and stop the seizures. It's worth investigating IMO.

:hello: Yellowbug

Welcome to CWE - I can see
some of our members have already
responded to your postings!

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom