Wondering about keppra....

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

moldy73

New
Reaction score
Hi..im new...I have had 2 seizures since August, still not sure why (epilepsy has been ruled out by EEG)...I was looking for peoples experience while on keppra...I have lost a lot of weight, which I am hoping can be attributed to this drug, like 25 lbs....my blood work all came back normal recently, so im assuming it must be from keppra...anyone share this ?
THX

May Too Deep In Brain For EEG To Defect

moldy,
If you have had seizures there must be a reason. It is too early to dismiss the possibility of E as a cause. Sometimes the spot in the brain that is affected by the E is so deep in the brain that it can't be detected by the normal EEG process of placing the ins on the head.
There have been many people who have has brain surgery who have had a grid placed deep within their brain in a separate procedure so a reading can be obtained about the deep areas of the brain where E can occur. It is only after placing a grid deep into the brain that the doctors have gotten a reading as to what is really causing the person's seizures.
I'm not saying this is what you need to do, but you can't dismiss the possibility either! :ponder:
I have taken Keppra for over 12 years now. I have been lucky in that I haven't had any side effects from the med! The weight loss is something someone else will have to answer.

acshuman

hey moldy73, welcome to CWE!

Many of the anti-seizure meds affect weight in one way or another. I think in Keppra's case, weight loss is usually attributed to loss of appetite and/or nausea. Have you been experiencing those since starting the Keppra? If the weight loss preceded the seizures, then something else may be going on, and you should check in with your GP. If you're eating a lot less due to reduced appetite, make sure you're getting proper nutrition with what you DO consume, and also stay properly hydrated, otherwise your health might suffer in other ways.

As acshuman notes, a negative EEG doesn't rule out epilepsy as a diagnosis -- sometimes the seizures are too transient or occur too deep in the brain to register. So definitely pay attention to how you are feeling, take care of your overall health and check in with your doctors if anything feels off (including significant weight loss).

I've been on a high dose of Keppra for 15 years and haven't lost any weight because of the Keppra. However, Keppra is known for it's contribution to mood swings, so if you're experiencing mood highs/lows, that could cause weight changes. So could changes in your thyroid, which several AEDs are known to do. Speak with your dr. about the weight loss. Something's not right with your body.

Back
Top Bottom