Working in car sales with epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Chrisb010

New
Reaction score
Hi there just to intrudice myself, I lost my job 3 years ago in the UK because i had a seizure. I have been unemployed for three years because i had completly given up. Recently i realised that this was ridiculous and had to make some drastic life changes. I moved to america looking to start a new life. Having a huge passion for cars and sales i decided to apply to work in car sales. Passed the interview and they really and i nean really wanted to hire me. Step 2 they needed my driving record so that their insurance company could insure me. My driving record was clean so i thought this would not be a issu. Unfortunatly their insurance company wqould not insure me because my driving licence was suspended. after hours on the phone with the DMV i found out that this suspension was notr a suspension of the licence itself but of the application when drivers safety had to clear me. this is ridiculous now i have a tainted driving record and i cant change it. my question is does this mean i can never work in car sales or this specific company alone won't insure me?

Thankyou
Chrisb0010

Just as a side not more on my epilepsy i have been fit free for two years not that in this case it seems to make a difference because i think the insurance companys just see suspened and instanlty say 'no'. but thought i would let you know

Hi Chrisb010, welcome to CWE!

How frustrating!
Ask the DMV how you can clear your record. Ask the insurance company what information they need to verify that you have a clear driving record. If you get the runaround, see if you can track down a local consumer advocate to help with the red tape.

Best,
Nakamova

ChrisbO1O, All states have different laws regarding licensing as to how long you must be seizure free to reinstate your license, I would think that this law would also apply to the insurance laws in that state. If you go on line you will find the laws pertaining to every state and could then talk to various insurance companies with this information at hand asking why they are not considering your request to be insured. I have had 2 accidents with seizures involved and still have insurance in the state of Ohio even though at this point I have made a decision to stop driving for fear of injuring someone.

Don't take no for an answer. Use a lesser known insurance company, or take out a high deductible. There have got to be some insurance companies that want your hard earned $$. You are a risk, and will have to pay for that label, but so are a LOT of other people.

I sure wish our insurance was just added to the price of gasoline. Then every one would be covered, and those that used more gas would be paying more.

Back
Top Bottom