Worried about going back to work

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

peachy

New
Reaction score
Well, a teachers least favorite time of year...long nice stressfree summer...then bam....it is over...time to return to the little cuties. I have had relatively few seizures this summer. This is actually the best I've been since last year in June when I started having seizures. I teach 7th grade, science to be specific. I deal with a lot of choas with labs and activities and science equipment etc. We also have new administrators (principal and vice principal) and I don't know them. Will have to go through all of my details again with them. May be forced to tell my students about my situation. If bad enough, I may be forced to stay home. I have no disability insurance. I am so scared that it is going to get worse again. Back to school night coming up. When I am nervous I likely will have seizures. Oh jeez. Any suggestions for dealing with this delightful time?

Try and focus on the positive -- you've had a "good, stress-free summer with relatively few seizures." Picture that carrying over into the school year. Try to imagine the best possible scenarios -- great new administrators, amazing students -- rather than the worst ones. If you need to tell your students, make it an educational moment. It's a science class after all...

I know all this is easier said than done. Do what you can to build stress-relievers into your schedule. It can be anything -- a weekly check-in with a friend, a favorite walk or activity, a relaxation treat -- as long as it's something you can count on to take the edge off.

And good luck! I'll cross my fingers that your back-to-school journey goes smoothly...

I agree with Nakamova. And I'll add a few things.

Schedule extra time to get ready for things so you are less rushed. If you have cognitive issues from the seizures or the meds try extra organizational methods so you have to remember less, and things are easy to find. For your lesson plans use checklists, etc. to make it easier to prepare day-of, if you don't already. You can ask the kids for help, too. They should be able to figure out and get out their own equipment. IF not they've got hard times ahead as a scientist.

Do you have TC's or CP's? If they are simple partials I wouldn't tell the kids. But altered conciousness you might have to tell them or if something happened they might get scared. But what a wonderful opportunity to educate them on epilepsy! Is there a speaker in your area that can come talk about epilepsy? Can you integrate it into whatever science subject you teach? (chemistry, biology, etc.?)

You are going to be okay. I know this. Try to relax and not stress out (more than usual!) about the new school year. Your meds will continue to work. It's the stress that you need to manage.

Teaching over 200 teens is a hard job to remain stress-free in! I will try. ENDLESS I have uncontrolled complex partial seizures. Most last under 10 seconds. I haven't been having many-except around certain times... I don't really want to tell my students if I can avoid it but probably should. I guess they will make fun of me either way. I will try to be organized and relax....The beginning of the year is very hard when you don't know any of the kids yet. I will try to forget that fact... :)

Hey, Peachy. Do you just zone out, or do you do nutty stuff. If under 10 seconds and you don't do anything nutty you might get away with it.

Unfortunately mine last a few minutes and I do nutty stuff. Darn.

I can do either one Endless!

At school I have torn posters off the wall, turned on the sink for no reason, bothered students during presentations, flipped students hair, etc etc etc. You get the picture.

I bet you are the favorite teacher! Imagine if you are one of your students....they can't wait to get to science class to see if the teacher does something wacky! LOL!!! I agree with both sides of the fence. If your are doing things that may disrupt the class, then you can teach them about E. If not, then why bother? If you find your self on top of one of the desks doing a Statue of Liberty thing, then yeah, you may need to tell them :roflmao:

Hi Peachy,

I've had CP seizures as well as TC seizures for years now. When my two now grown children were in elementary school, I would do volunteer work at the school for the teachers. Well, one day I had a seizure in front of the classroom, so I eventually ended up giving them a lesson about epilepsy, what happens, what to do, not to do, etc. If the students are informed, they probably won't make fun of you. They do need to know in case you may need help.

And I also worked part time in a pre-school, and the supervisor knew I had epilepsy. One time the supervisor informed me that one of the little ones also had epilepsy, and when he had a seizure, who did they ask for help?

Good luck in your days to come.

My daughter's going into 7th grade this year, and most of her friends have been more supportive than I was expecting. I've actually seen more maturity and acceptance from some of them than from adults she has contact with. I think if you just give them a heads up, at least it will prepare them. I agree, you have an opportunity to educate a whole classroom of kids here! Though I can imagine that a class full of high energy, high drama junior high kids is um, exciting (lol), I think if you bring it up early on, you won't be worrying as much about actually having a seizure in the classroom. Have a great year!

Back
Top Bottom