Worried Mommy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Married

New
Reaction score
Hi, it has been a while since I have been on here. I have a couple of questions, if all of you do not mind. I have a daughter who is 9 years old who was diagnosed with adolescent absence seizures at 6 years old. She is currently on zarontin 10ml at night and 5ml in the morning. She was previously on 7 1/2 ml at night and 2 1/2ml in morning, and it was doing very well for a long while on that dose, that the doctor told her she can be weaned off slowly. Well we got down to 4ml in pm and 2 1/2ml in am and she started having them again, but this time the look of them changed. So the doctor told us to go back up, so we did and we got on the dose that we were on before and it was not working, so that is how she ended up on 10ml at night and 5ml in am. She had an EEG which showed her having one. Which I was expecting. So she has been on this dose for about two weeks now rocking along still having episodes here or there, nothing significant. Well this morning I woke up to my son witnessing my daughter having a grand mal, when I got there she was unresponsive and it took her about 15 minutes to just be able to speak. I was very nervous she has never had one before. I took her to the ER which they did blood work and talked to her neurologist and they sent her home with her to do a follow up eeg on Monday morning. Could someone please explain further, like why she had this is she going to have anymore or what I should do. I talked to the neurologist's nurse and she said they do not know why she had it, they do not know if she will have another one. I just need some answers.

So sorry to hear about your daughters tonic clonic (grand mal) seizure today. One of the most frustrating things about epilepsy is that sometimes there are no answers no matter how hard we look. That being said, there are some things that can trigger off seizures, like sleep deprivation, illness, stress etc-was your daughter experiencing any of these recently?

When you say the look of her seizures changed, what do they look like now?

Unfortunately they may not be able to tell you exactly why your daughter's seizures progressed to tonic clonics, even after the eeg, unless there is something obvious that shows on there. Sometimes peoples seizures do progress and change over time, and can get worse or better with no explanation.

I hope they find some answers for both of you and get her stable so she doesn't have any more.

Hi Married.

Experiencing a tonic clonic seizure or knowing a loved one has had one can be horrible. Often times worse than actually having one.

Seizures change, like chmmr said. I was diagnosed with the same as your daughter at the age of 16. At the age of abour 24, I had my first tonic clonic seizure that I know of. In all, I believe I have had around 3.

The doctors often time can only take a good guess at what the situation may be. The cause of my seizures after 10 years is still unknown, but they are controlled by medicine.

It is quite possible that your daughter may have more, so it is best for you not to stress too much (as hard as that may be) and know how to respond to a seizure. Be prepared to wait as long as 15 minutes before she can respond. It is not the most comfortable thing waking up from a seizure, but waking up in the arms of a calm loved one can work wonders no mater what age someone is.

There are many answers that may not be answered, but feel free to ask about anything.

Back
Top Bottom