Would love to meet people who understand the struggles of dealing with seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Jun

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My name is Jun, and have been dealing with seizures since my high school days.

I have paralysis on my right side stemming from a stroke/brain injury I suffered when I was a baby.

I would say I'm a bit of an introvert. I don't come across people who can appreciate me for me. I think people just see my disability and when I say seizures, it's like the friendship takes a turn in the opposite direction.

Aside from my appearance, I'm a fairly easy going person who enjoys talking. Would love to make new friendships with people who share similar struggles of dealing with seizures.

Thanks for a great community and hope to get to know many of you :D

Hi Jun, welcome to CWE!

Folks who can't see beyond the seizures don't deserve your friendship. I hope you can find the gems out there who do.

Make yourself at home,
Best,
Nakamova

I agree with Nakamova, people are so superficial. They make up their minds on you and often don't give you a chance because they are scared of what "seizures" could mean. I don't have Epilepsy, but my 7 year old son was diagnosed in 2011 with Absence seizures and a thalamic tumor, and has problems with incontinence and encopresis. He is an amazing kid, very bright, very sensitive, and lately very withdrawn. He has only one friend, and is so isolated because of his issues, and as his mother, it breaks my heart. Also, since his diagnosis, I have lost about 5 people who I thought were friends because they do not understand, and they think I am too preoccupied with my son's illnesses. They can't comprehend why I am depressed, irritable over this whole ordeal, and have thus abandoned me. You are not alone. Welcome! I believe you and I will find much support here, and we will have a lot of understanding to offer others in need.

Welcome Jun! We definitely appreciate you for who you are. Pretty brave thing to do to join a forum when you are an introvert. We're glad to have you aboard. My view is that you don't have a disability rather an 'ability' to have insight into what we are all going through. The'able' people out there are not blessed with that ability.Keep smiling.

Hi Jun,

I know what you mean when people hear you have seizures. I met a pretty girl that was in a wheelchair online. Well we got along great on Instant messenger, she was telling me how she hates it when people find out about her disability that they just don't even talk to her anymore. I figured that she would be more accepting about my epilepsy, but when i told her that it was due to a brain tumor i had removed 7 yrs ago, she practically got out of her wheel chair and ran!!! Not literally, but i never saw her online again. The last girlfriend i had was a supermodel, but we didn't get along too well, plus it didn't help that she had a husband in England. She told me she was in the process of divorcing. I didn't care, to me she was my everything, this was right before they diagnosed my tumor, when she finally left me. I cryed, i moaned and felt horrible, but now i'm happy being alone, all the headaches and hassles people can cause can be more then my little brain can take.

was interesting, spent the day once while I was waiting for insurance in the ER at one of the local hospitals. They were were overwhelmed, and because of input, they put walk in seizures at the bottom of the list on triage.

(hence why, if there is not a good reason, don't go to er, unless the ems takes me, was an important thing to learn.)

So I spent 8 hours in the ER, in the corner with with other people who had seizures of varying degrees, so I met a bunch of epileptics that night, and none of us wanted fruit cups, so all of us put our money together and ordered pizzas, and had enough to throw a pizza a fruit cup party. if you are going to go. Go big!

Last edited:
you have two ways to handle it, laugh or cry, do your self a favor. laugh!

Last edited:
Hi Jun! I understand the feeling of being rejected after people find out you have seizures. I am going through that same struggle right now. I have been employed at my organization for 8 years. They liked my work enough to promote me. I kept my epilepsy a secret for 8 years. However, I had two complex partial seizures at work and now everyone who used to be my friends avoid me and treat me like I have the plaque. Administration and my boss are trying to make me quit. They actually tried to fire me but when they found out that is illegal, they began to try to make me quit. I don't understand why there is so much discrimination against us. Other conditions are accepted but not ours. This is why I like this forum. I like the fact that I can speak to people like you who understand what I am going through and we can lean on each other.

Back
Top Bottom