Wow! life sure changed.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

cupofjoe

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I am new here. I was diagnosed with partial complex seizures about six months ago. Since then it has been a bit of a rollercoaster getting the meds right and getting my life back. I am 46 and apparently I have been having seizures for the past 18 to 24 months. I had no idea what was going on. It took nearly everything from me. I was becoming ever more fatigued, forgetful, often confused and according to friends and family my entire personality had changed. When a diagnosis was finaly reached I was told that I was constantly sliding back into a post phase and that was why it was taking such a phisical tole. BY the end I had lost my job, put a lot of stress on my family, and many people thought I was angry at them. (I have spent a great deal of time repairing things)

I am now recovering and I thought I would feel better emotionally than I do. I can't seem to shake the feeling of impending doom, as if I am going to return to where I was at any time. I still have the occasional breakthrough, though not too often now. It just scares the heck out of me.

Anyway, I dont want to sound like a whiner. I just don't feel like anyone around me truly understands how I feel.

Thanks for listening
Me

Hi cupofjoe, welcome to CWE!

You're not a whiner! Believe me, it's pretty normal to feel anxious about the possibility of having future seizures. It's only six months since your diagnosis, and you've been through a lot, so go easy on yourself. It can take a while for your brain and body to get the hang of coping with a seizure disorder. The process isn't necessarily automatic or fast. I'm glad you've found us though -- CWE can definitely make the coping easier.

If you feel like your anxiety is interfering with your daily life, then you might want to consider seeing a counselor or therapist, or trying stress-reducing activities like meditation or progressive relaxation. There is also the possibility that the sensation of dread is a seizure itself -- they can manifest that way for some folks. One good way to help figure out what is or isn't a seizure is to keep a seizure/symptom journal. More info about that here: http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/seizure-journals-10776/

It can help too, to be proactive about your overall health. Tips and info here: http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f22/proactive-prescription-epilepsy-1254/

Best,
Nakamova

Hello cupofjoe :hello:

I am glad that you found the site. Don't get down on yourself. This is all new to you. Your family and friends will understand that it wasn't you at your normal self, and if not, you don't need that kind of support! We are all here for you :)

Thanks for the support and resource tips. I will check them out and use this this site as well. It is nice knowing that you can touch base with people who share your experiences and fears.
Thanks again.

If you have any questions/concerns/feelings and need to get them out this forum is great. I've found that the people here all can relate and it comes down to the old "Have been there before" adage. So don't be afraid to vent or ask questions.

Oh almost forgot.....Welcome!

Back
Top Bottom