This year I went 5 months without one

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Jamesgang

New
Supporter
Reaction score
Good morning , my seizures started 7 years ago and I would become aware that I'm wrestling with Doctors. After a year of that I started to " come around" wrestling with paramedics in the nude, they told me to shut up, sit down and wear something to bed. It seems I have quite a vocabulary during the confusion state, and why open a door when you walk through it which has cost me 2 front teeth. May 2017 was the first one to occur during a daytime nap and the last two, October 26 and December 28 were also during a nap. They have always been while sleeping between 4 and 5 a.m. and the last 3 around noon. In October I woke up gasping for air and fell out of bed, tried to get up and that takes time. I have no strength and no balance and I stumble right into their arms. This is good, I am 6'4 and I don't want to go when full of adrenalin so it's better to catch me early. They call me a difficult patient. Well folks, I better stop rambling and save AED's and some of the fun I've had along the way for another post, thank you all for this opportunity.

Hi Jamesgang,

Welcome to CWE! I've had seizures for 45 yrs. and a few yrs. a go I would wake up in the morning feeling really tired and I got at least 7 hrs. of sleep. Then I noticed a pattern
where I was having seizures when I woke up and when I went to bed. My Epileptologist then ordered a sleep study to be done along with an e.e.g. and e.k.g. and sure enough
I was having seizures in my sleep 1-2 hrs. before I woke up in the morning. I was put on vimpat and thank goodness that stopped those seizures but I still deal with absence and complex partial seizures. You may want to ask your neuro to do a sleep study on you they have found that sometimes seizures can happen when a person is sleeping and in some cases if a person has a sleep disorder (sleep apnea) it can trigger seizures for some people. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Thank you Sue, that's one encouraging welcome!, I like the sound of a sleep study, so with wire leads I guess we are sleeping on our backs?. They put on vimpat a year ago before I killed someone on keppra, vimpat took most of the twitching that I came away from the hospital with on one seizure that kept me from breathing too long, foot drop and peripheral neuropathy set in quick. I got my foot back and my legs have almost cleared up. Cannabis oil keeps the twitching manageable but I am starting to think that twitching might be myoclonic seizures rather than damage caused by the generalized seizures. Thanks again Sue, Jim.

Hi James,

You could be correct it could be myoclonic seizures also that has been causing some of the problem. One thing I also found out was that when my Dr. increased my dosage of vimpat it triggered more seizures for me so I went back to 300 mg. a day and that helped me much more. Another thing that I found triggers seizures for me is when there's a low pressure in the weather that often can cause me to have seizures so take note of the weather and if you notice you are having more seizures in the bad weather it's because the low pressure is effecting your hormones my Epileptologist also told me about this and that's another reason why I have more seizures in the bad weather. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Hey James, welcome to CWE! Congrats on the 5 months seizure-free! I hope you can get the twitching under control too. Sometimes a magnesium supplement or a change in diet can help with that, so you might check in with your doc about that possibility.

Cheers!
Nak

Magnesium

Thank you Nakamova, I have an appt. with my neurologist in a couple of weeks for an update on my prescriptions and I was going to ask for something like phenobarbital for a dental visit so I don't chomp and grind on the drill, I love that look on a doctors face when you ask for something like that!. Any way I should start the magnesium immediately and it would sure save me asking for something like that and probably get noted in med. records. I wonder how much of that could be why I'm not recovering as fast anymore?, I stumble around stupid for almost a week nowadays and I use to get my mind back after about 3 days. Thanks for welcome and the tip Nakamova. James.

Back
Top Bottom