Yet another newcomer.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I'm 21 and from New Zealand.
I started having absence and atonic seizures in my early teens. No cause was identified. I was started on Sodium Valproate and spent most of my teens seizure-free.

Over the past couple of months I started having what my doctor thought were migraines. I had four of them and before the last one I had myoclonic seizures. I told my doctor and he didn't believe me, telling me I was just stressed. Yesterday I had what I thought was a migraine aura. I was experiencing blurred vision, had intense nausea and was finding it difficult to put my thoughts into words. This occured while I was at day treatment (I'm currently being treated for an eating disorder). Once again they thought it was stress. I tried telling them it wasn't. I felt like something was seriously wrong but all I could say was "no, leave me" when they tried to get me to stand up.

Next thing I remember is being on the floor in another room with people all around me. Then I lost a couple of hours and at the hospital was told I had a tonic-clonic. My bloods came back normal apart from my oxygen levels being well below normal in the ABG test. I had a CT scan which was also normal. They discharged me in the early hours of the morning and have referred me for more tests.

I'm here because I'm hoping to discuss this with people who understand and hopefully come to an answer. I'm tired of people telling me it's all in my head (emergency department doctors) even when there is medical evidence to suggest otherwise (seizure was witnessed by 2 nurses and a doctor at day treatment & my stats were abnormal... it's most certainly not in my head).

No, it's not in your head. Keep strong minded and hopefully they will come around and you will be put on some meds, if that's the path you choose to take. Good luck, and welcome to the site :)

Are you still on the sodium valproate ... I Dont understand why they would be treating you like this you have had previous medical history of seizures and epilepsy and medication previously worked ...

I think you should be asked to be seen by a neurologist and get there opinion ... Good luck and welcome to cwe :)

Thanks for the welcomes :)

Yep I take 400mg twice daily.
I think people just look at the fact that I have a mental health diagnosis and then that's all they see. It's a shame really.
I will ask to see a neurologist if nothing comes from the EEG.

Definitely push to see a neurologist Prosperitee -- those other docs aren't qualified to make the call about your symptoms. With the eating disorder is it possible that you may be low or deficient in certain nutrients? They wouldn't necessarily show up as low in the blood tests. In particular magnesium and B vitamins are important for brain health. If they aren't already you might want to make sure they are part of your diet.

Best,
Nakamova

^^ In my notes it says they tested for magnesium (although not B vitamins). My levels were slightly below normal but nothing to be worried about. I could try taking a supplement and see if it helps anyway :)
Thanks.

Ive just gotten through a fight with getting a diagnosis as my first neuro kept saying it was psychological and in my head yada yada yada....but 3-4 years down the line i got a diagnosis of epilepsy ....last week infact ...and Im on sodium valproate aswell

It can be a struggle but you really have to stand your ground and push ... You know your body the best

I hope you get the help needed sooner than later ...

Maybe your sodium valproate need tweaking slightly

It's not unusual to have EEG, MRI come back normal, I have Many many times.

I can't believe how they are treating you.

Get another Dr. a third one if you have to, done stop until you get answers.

Must be such a relief to finally have it confirmed.

Good news is if I do have to fight to get a diagnosis then I have a doctor and 2 nurses at the treatment center to help hassle the neuro. :rock:
One of the nurses who helped me yesterday called me just a few minutes ago and said that the doctor is already organizing a referral to the outpatient neurology clinic. I don't know if this is the same place that the hospital neuro was referring me to but I guess it's now just a matter of seeing which referral wins the race. :p
(I am silly when I'm stressed and tend to try to de-stress through humour... shutting up).

This is enough to stress anyone.

I hope you won't feel that you need to shut up.

Ask as many questions ask you want.

Rant went you feel you need to.

We are here for you.

Ok then I wont shut up. :lol:

I feel like I'm never going to stop being sick in one way or another and just when I'm starting to get my life back from 5 years of an eating disorder... BAM! Seizures return. What did I ever do to the universe? Seriously? Did I offend you in some way? I recycle, I try my best to buy local produce, I don't eat meat, I use eco-friendly toilet paper... what more do you want?! :?

*rant over*

Hello there. You've gotten some great advice. I just wanted to welcome you to CWE. We're glad to have you here. :)

Back
Top Bottom