zonogran...... am i the only one :dontknow:

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
hi there

Im from Dublin Ireland and all i can say is thank god i found this site as i can see a lot of my problems in other people. i was just wondering is there any other women here that are on zonagran or know much about it. i am currently on 150 twice daily and would like to get pregant. i have a 4 year old little girl which i had while on topamax but the zonagran is really puching me to the brink of my sanity. i have currently been taking off Lexapro which i was put for depression due to my epilepsy and the side effects over the years. any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.

dublin gal

Hi dublin_gal --

I was on zonegran, but it was problematic for me -- it messed with my stomach, appetite blood sugar and mood, So I didn't last more than 6 or 7 months on it.

As far as pregnancy and Zonegran, it is considered to relatively safe. The FDA put it in the same category with all the newer AED meds like Neurontin, Topamax, Trileptal, Keppra, Lyrica and Vimpat. That said, you should definitely consult with your obstetrician and neurologist to make sure they are on the same page with your medical care. Make sure to take a folic acid supplement (you probably already know this).

And remember -- according to the Epilepsy Foundation, more than 90 percent of pregnant women who have epilepsy deliver healthy babies.

Hi Dublingal - Hope U R good - whilst I'm not female(!), I'm Munster born/bred but please ask me anything if U think I can help - Have U tried Loopy Lou on here- She's a good all round Ulster lass with brains that are worth picking & respecting
Nollaig Shona Duit
Col

Hi, Dublingal,

Welcome to the forum!

I dunno about the safety of zonagran for pregnancy. I think the jury is still out, as far as the scientific community goes. But I agree with Nakamova, it looks like it's safer than a bunch of the other AEDs. Here's a link to epilepsy.com with more info. Maybe read it over and make your own decision.
http://professionals.epilepsy.com/medications/p_zonegran_pregnancy.html

Here's where you can look up each AED. Under each drug there will be a section on pregnancy (look in the box on the right-hand side).
http://professionals.epilepsy.com/page/medications.html

Be sure to talk with your neurologist before you become pregnant. He'll help pick out the drug that's best for you. In some areas there are also epi's who specialize in pregnancy. Those are usually at a regional epilepsy center. (I don't know what they call those in Ireland, but they are big clinics that specialize in epilepsy and have more resources than most epilepsy clinics.) There are some gynocologists who have an area of interest in seizures, too, if you can find one.

Tanks a million for the advice everyone. got my next appointment with my doctor and its for next june :crying: but im going to try ring and get an earlier one. the last time i was in the hospital they basically left it up to myself an my husband whether or not we go have another child (have a lovely 3 year old girl) but just dont want to rush into something im not comfortable about.........

Nollaig Shona Daoibh Agus Athbhliain faoi Mhaise Duit:beer:

Back
Top Bottom