Aaaack!!!! Bees!!!!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

LynnW

New
Reaction score
OK, so I was just now mowing our orchard. We have a couple of beehives at the far end. First pass around...bees acting like normal. Second pass around...SWARM!!!

OH

MY

GOD!

Thousands of bees flying and buzzing around me! Now, logically I know that swarms are not aggressive, and my head is telling me that I am in no danger, but my gut is telling me

GET AWAY!!! GET AWAY!!!

I hightailed it out of there as fast as I could, bees bumping into me the whole way, shut the mower off, ran into the house, and slammed the door.

After regaining my composure, I went back out to see that they were congregating in the locust grove a short distance from the hives.

If you have never seen a swarm of bees, it is an awesome sight. (I see one almost every year as I am not a very good beekeeper). They will hang out in a cluster in the tree they have lodged themselves in and send out scouts to find a new home. When the scouts have found a suitable location (usually takes a day or two), then off the entire group will go to make a new home. If I can capture the swarm before they go off again, then I can set them up in a spare hive and have another colony.

Just thought I'd share.

I've heard they do not like mowers...

The killer bee swarms down our direction would attack mowers or tractors...anything with a motor.
:ponder:

Glad you're alright!
Speber
:rock:

My dad use to have a hobby as a bee keeper. We had the equipment in the garage. We had swarms many times, and it is a scary sight. Especially in the city. He showed me once how he could take a few scouts, and then they would do their little dance and woosh the whole swarm would make a dash for the new abode. It was amazing to watch.

Bees I hate them and don't want to be around them especially since I'm a allergeric to them and also wasps. I always have to be careful when I do my yard work.

They are a critical part of the food chain - one of nature's miracles.

I just wanted to clarify a few things about bees. Honeybees are generally not aggressive, unless defending their hive. People are in no danger from honeybees gathering pollen and nectar away from the hive; they are usually too busy going about their tasks to bother you (unless you happen to step on them – then they will sting you). Those obnoxious bee things that fly around your sodas at picnics are not honeybees – they are actually a type of wasp.

Honeybees have been domesticated for thousands of years. They are not native to the Americas. They were first brought by European colonists to this country in the 1600’s.

Bernard is right – honeybees are a vital part of the food chain. They pollinate most fruit and vegetable crops, and also much of the hay crops used to feed livestock.

The type of swarm that I experienced was the natural way that honeybees propagate new colonies, and alleviate overcrowding in existing colonies. Just before or after a new queen bee hatches, the old queen will fly off with about half of the existing colony to find a new home. They will clump up in a temporary location, sometimes in inconvenient places, until scout bees return with news of a location for them to settle permanently. Unless the beekeeper takes measures to prevent swarming, healthy colonies of bees will do this every spring. These swarms, while scary to witness, are very docile. Their only concern is finding a new home.

The types of swarms that Speber referred to were “Africanized” bees defending their home. European honeybees adapted very well in North America, but they were not well suited to the tropical climates of South America, so in the 1950’s, African honeybees were brought to South America. These African bees interbred with the European bees to create a hybrid that adapted well to the climate, and retained many of the characteristics of the African bees. These Africanized bees have gradually spread northward, and now can be found in much of the American Southwest.

Compared to European bees, colonies of Africanized bees are much more aggressive. They have many more guard bees on duty, are much quicker to respond to perceived threats, mobilize a much larger number of attack bees, and follow the threat for a much greater distance. If you live in an area know to have Africanized bees, it is safest just to stay away from any honeybees, unless you are an experience beekeeper, and are wearing protective gear. Lucky for me, Africanized bees haven’t reached Kentucky yet. But thanks for caring, Speber. :)

Sorry for the long dissertation, but I think honeybees are so fascinating. I know a lot more about honeybees than I do about epilepsy, and if I can pass on some of that knowledge, maybe some of you won’t be as scared of them.

Dead BEES,

I still don't want to be around them. The only good bee is a dead bee. :mrt: :noevil: The deader the better. :mrt:

They are disappearing like crazy. Though I think I was told that the ones that live on organic farms are doing just fine. It is the stressed out bees, that have to communte, and deal with toxins that are not to be found.

Hi Lynn,

Hope they didn't get you at all. When I was really small my sister and brother were playing follow the leader and he must've leapt over a nest of yellow jackets and she stepped in it. They stung her all over and she ended in the hospital. I am glad you made it inside.

Michelle : ))

Back
Top Bottom