Accent

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

notime

Stalwart
Reaction score
I am from Arkansas. You should think I would sound like I am southerner right? I do have a speech impediment. But, often I am asked if I am a foreigner because of my accent. Some have said I have a British twang to it. I went to a new dentist yesterday. They asked if I was a foreigner I was like NO! I was born here. She seemed surprised. I mean, is it odd for an American who lives in the south to have a little british accent or whatever?

Thanks.

Good question! A friend of mine who was raised in Maryland has a British accent. But his parents were Brits.

I've never thought of a Southern accent as being particularly "foreign". It could just be that your dentist hasn't treated people from all over the US.

Is it like 'oh mi Reht I do declare I got the vapours'just think of Gone with the wind Or Dallas instead Sue Allan swelen.like strong NY accent but most seem have same accent now.In uk most people have strong accent where they come from I glad to say cos be thing of past soon

I mean, is it odd for an American who lives in the south to have a little british accent or whatever?

I used to live in Memphis and was often asked where I was from because of my "accent". It wasn't British nor was it a "southern" accent. I was born and raised in the western half of the U.S., so I have an "accent", according to those in the south. I thought, "and ya'll think I sound funny. Ya'll are just pitchin' a fit 'cause I'm dif'rent."

Seriously, it isn't odd for different accents in different parts of the U.S. And in some parts of the south, especially the deep south, the accent is even harder for us westerners to understand.

Interesting. I live in the south western part of the United States, but I'm from the south. I'll occasionally get asked where I'm from because of my accent. I have been told that my accent does have a little bit of southerness mixed into it, but I've been told that it sounds like it has some British mixed in it from others. I have a mild speech impediment, but it's not significant and I had speech therapy for it when I was young. Just a part of my "accent" to me other than trying harder than average to pronounce some common words.

Reviving an old thread (giving it midazolam?) to comment on how strange my accent is! I was raised in Scotland by a Scottish mother who'd picked up her Irish ex-husband's accent, an aunt who'd picked that up from my mother, a Cockney grandmother who faked Received Pronunciation (that plummy BBC Radio 3 voice), and a Scottish grandfather who'd kept his Scottish accent. My first high school, and the area I spent my late childhood/early to mid-teens in, was full of English kids with stereotype Home Counties accents, and my second high school was mostly made up of kids with Edinburgh and Glasgow accents who tried to fake posh accents. My twin got dragged into faking a posh accent at my first school, the only high school he went to, and sounds plain silly these days as, whilst he can't shake it off, he speaks Scottish vernacular. Hearing "aye, dear" in a fake posh accent is excruciating, but I can't talk. I've had my accent described as "unintelligible"!

I'm considering making a Youtube channel to talk about epilepsy and raise awareness, but I'm nervous because of my voice. Because of my sex chromosome deformity, it's very high-pitched and girlish for a 20-year-old man, but the main problem is the accent. Most people I've talked to on the phone who live outside Scotland, Ireland, or the north of England can't work out a word I say. It's embarrassing.

I grew up in Fort Lauderdale, FL and have been told a number of times that I sound like a New Yorker sometimes. My father was born in Brooklyn, but moved to Miami Beach when he was a young kid. People can tell he is from New York, though. There are a lot of people that moved down to south Florida from the northeast. You will hear the southern accent in some parts of central and north Florida. It's like it's a completely different state than south Florida.

The southern accent can greatly vary depending on which state a person is from. I can usually tell whether someone is from say Alabama as opposed to say Louisiana or Mississippi or Tennessee or Georgia, etc.

Last edited:
The British accent has always been my favorite accent. For one thing, I think it can sound very sexy. I know the accent does vary depending on location.

between alabama, georgia, and miss there a more than 200 accents. you can pretty much go 300 minutes in any direction and it will change enough to tell. one of my favorites is the pack of girls who are all related who work at a waffle house together in annistion. that accent just sounds tired.

I come from bleeding Essex It scarf of cuntree that roughly Essex accent

I have lived in Atlanta for 16 years. I moved here in my thirties, but I think I may have picked up some of the southern accent. Sometimes, I will sound a little southern. My boyfriend is a native Atlantan and loves to bust my chops. He'll say, "you're one of us now" when I sound southern and I'll say, "Hell no, I'm a New Yorker" with a New York accent. Most of the time my boyfriend doesn't even talk with a southern accent, just occasionally.

Back
Top Bottom