Always Tired.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

hawke86

New
Reaction score
Lately I have been tired all day. I don't know if it's my medication or seizures causing it. Today I had some lab work done. They were checking my medication level and checking my liver and kidney to. This is the first time they wanted to check my liver and kidney.That I know of. I hope thefeeling ofbeing tired all the time quits. Has anyone gone through this? I hope everyone has a good and safe weekend. Any advice of what I can do?

Hi Hawke,

It is good they are checking your bloodwork. Maybe that will show something. Did they mention anything about your medicines. Also, you may want to check on your sleep apnea. That may have changed a bit and need adjusting. Just a few ideas to check on. I know I get tired easily too. Especially in the afternoons into the evenings. Alot of times I am really tired and dopey feeling when I wake up. It stinks! I can understand how you feel.
I also mentioned to you that I get more tired if I am inactive or not doing much..However, when I over do it..I easily tire. I guess a good balance is whats needed.

You have a great weekend!
Michelle

Good Deal!

Hawke, Make sure they do a complete metabollic study too! Good buddy
David:twocents:

Yup, I've gone through fatigue too. I found out that it was my thyroid. I knew there was something wrong when I started to lose my hair, and I felt cold all the time. No matter how warm it was, my hands and feet were like ice. My thyroid levels read normal on the blood work. Luckily my doc had a nutritionist that was working in his office, and when I told her how I felt she told me to take my temperature at my armpit every day for a week and jot down the temps before I even got out of bed. When I went back with the temps, she smiled and said that I was hypothyroid. Most likely a borderline case. So on the bloodwork it would show up as normal thyroid, when actually my body needed more. So I was put on thyroid meds and started feeling much better. :) I also found that weight loss was a lot easier after the thyroid meds. If the nutritionist hadn't overheard my complaining of just knowing that soemthing wasn't right, I probably would still be feeling the way I was. Later found out that people whose moms had gestational diabetes (like my mom) were more likely to become hypothyroid later in life.

Yep, I get tired, generally mid afternoon, I try to snooze up the corner at work where nobody can see me, but I think this is down to a mixture of my meds and lack of sleep at night.

I think someone has been putting sleepy dust in the air, because I have been very tired in the afternoon. I am best if I can rest for about 20 min.

Lol

I have to agree with Robin and Michelle both.......sleepy dust and not being 18......although, I am.....*clearing throat* ahem, only 21, ya know..........:bigmouth::bigmouth::roflmao::roflmao: Someone as young as I am shouldn't be so wiped out.......HEHEHEHEEHEEE

Hawke, I hope they get some answers for you soon, buddy.

Last edited:
I think someone has been putting sleepy dust in the air, because I have been very tired in the afternoon. I am best if I can rest for about 20 min.

I hear ya girl! I usually have to lay down around 2-3 p.m., if even for 30 minutes. Just comes on in a wave. This has been going on for years and years, so don't think it has anything to do with not being 18 again.

Ooops, just got a "rush" while typing this. I do not take responsibility for my words..........LOL

Deb

Could it be the parathyroid malfunctioning? I've heard of that condition before. I know somebody who may have that removed and they are warned of extreme fatigue afterwords. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Hawke,
I know how it is being tired all the time.I'm always tired.
And it doesn't help when I take pain pills try help my back they knock me out.
I always seem be sore period all over my body.
even when I don't take pain pills if I lay down the shortest nap I take is 30 minutes my usual is 1 1/2 hrs.
Belinda

Last edited:
Tired.

Lately I have been constantly tired. I have become tired since I had those seizures this past weekend. I have never been this tired before. I do try to get plenty of rest. I'm always tired throughout the day, but I try to sleep I can't sleep. I don't know what's causing this. It sucks being tired all the time. Has anyone had this happen to you?

Yes........

and it was my thyroid at the time. Have you had that checked????

Hello: I just posted a reply at the Padded Room regarding feeling tired lately - easily, unusually, extremely tired despite the same workload at the office. On my third week of Keppra on top of three years of Lamictal. And just like some of the comments here, I wonder if it's the medications? or seizures at night? or lapses that I don't recognize or take not of? or just getting old? I am pleasantly surprised that you guys experience this. Thanks.

Hmmmmm, Annette

Welllll, in your case, it probably IS the meds. My understanding is that Keppra DOES make ya tired for quite a while.....but I might have misunderstood that one, AND it's also a very individual thing, too. If it doesn't start to get better in the next few weeks, say something to your neuro.....Usually the rule of thumb for meds to wear off of side effects like that is 6 to 8 weeks.

Are you missing periods of time that make you think this? If you are, perhaps you need to talk to the neuro about it, and start a journal to document these so you can see if there's a pattern to them. Perhaps they're CATAMENIAL? (Menstrual/hormone related). Do you get ENOUGH rest? Have you had a sleep study to see if you are? Start with the journal, and your doctor, and work from there.....

It is possible that Hawke's going thru seizures at night.......I know I am exhausted after one of my seizures.......which are only in my sleep. And then I don't want to go back to sleep again, but I do, for 18 to 24 hours, anyway........I'm just too tired!!!!

Robin's point though is that sometimes medications interact too much, causing fatigue in the first place. MY point is that I, personally, had the same issue, but for a completely different physical reason (on top of having a cyst in my pineal gland).

It IS neat though how we all have something to offer here, though, isn't it?

Take care!

Meetz

SPECIAL NOTICE:
DUE TO ERROR BY ONE OF OUR MODERATORS
THE ORIGINAL TWO POSTINGS WERE BY ACCIDENT:
DELETED AND MERGED INTO THIS POST, I HAVE
FIXED THIS:

ORIGINAL POST #1
I don't why lately I'm always tired. That always happening no matter how much sleep and rest I get. I'm tired of being tired all the time. Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this to happen? Will it ever stop happening? Just wondering. I hope everyone has a good day.

ORIGINAL POST #2
I have gone through this before........but it was my thyroid. Have you had that checked lately? Are your meds out of whack?

ORIGINAL POST #3

Everyone gets tired now and then. But sometimes
the medications that some people take makes them
tired. But there are ways around it, if you have talked
with your Doctor, try to become more active by FORCE,
in other words - MAKE yourself do something.

Start something simple, like a puzzle, buy and build a
model - or do something around the house, like rake
the yard, weed the garden, vacuum, do the laundry,
or something to keep you busy and occupied. The
"tiredness" effect which has an impact and affect some-
times on the brain becomes active when we are in the
state of "busy-ness". It is when we become "idle" is
when we "feel tired" more than usual, so by moving
around and doing something - we are less likely to feel
less tired.

However, do not overdo it - just a little bit at a time,
and not only would you feel more refreshed, but at
least something had been done and you would feel
"proud" that something had been accomplished!

==============================

Special Note for others:

For those people who are restricted and confined with
limitations - here are some suggestions that one might
be able to do - such as cleaning up and rearranging your
room - having something different instead of the "same
old, same old" can give you a "brand new feeling" and a
feeling of "newness". Even if it's just a simple moving of
a few furniture, rearrangements of books, or even the
decor of one's room. And if you're allowed and permitted
to, a nice fresh coat of paint (they have odor-free paint
now) that is refreshing and soothing can make a big
difference. Simple things can be done and make a big
difference on one's health and life, and always be sure to
ask for assistance if you are unable to do it all yourself.
Do not attempt to do these things all by yourself or
without supervision if you are under supervision guidance.

Last edited:
I know the feeling, I just told my friend how I stay exhausted constantly. I take naps on the weekends but the week is a struggle. I don't know if it is the Keppra or one of my other medical problems.
I know when I go to the neuro, they do blood work but I didn't realize that they were checking my liver until the last time they did blood work and mention the liver levels were increased over the previous blood tests, so I think they do the liver check each time.
I honestly have no answers but wanted to let you know I can relate.

JGB - The liver should not be impacted by Keppra. It is one of the few drugs that is not processed through the liver. It may be one of your other meds causing this "potentially" serious problem. Have your doctor stay on top of it.

The Keppra CAN cause the exhaustion/sleepiness, though many things can cause that.

I was in the hospital a few years back with chest pains, shortness of breath, and exhaustion. My heart checked out just fine. The problems were low thyroid, low B12, low iron, and something called coxsackie virus. ALL of those could have caused the exhaustion.

Point is to be aware of all possibilities. Hope you feel better soon.

Buckeye....they think it is related to the fact that I have been on hydrocodone for over 2 1/2 years....and the sad fact is I do not see ever being able to be off the pain meds. The neuro was very concerned about the liver numbers and sent info over to my infectious disease doc....the nurse there acted like it was no big deal, but said I should bring it up to my family doc. I had asked her to fact me the report so I could take it and discuss it with her...but then I never got the fax and when I called the nurse back, she said they felt the neuro was being an alarmist and I really didn't need to follow up on it. (I really got the idea she was being lazy and didn't want to take time to fax me anything). She just said with the amount of pain meds, it would be expected to see a small change in liver numbers. I go to neuro next month so I figure I would discuss it with him then.

Back
Top Bottom