Alzheimers test question

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

valeriedl

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone would beable to answer this questions about scoring on the test.

Today my grandfather was tested for alzheimers. My grandma said that he either scored a 27 or a 33. She remembers that the dr saying that 30 was a specific number that dealt with the test, she thought it was on the low side. The dr did put him on a med so I'm assuming that it was probably on the lower side.

I don't know if anyone would beable to tell me where a 30 ranks on the test?

Thanks.

It depends which test he was given. The current standard one is the MMSE (Mini-Mental State Exam) which goes goes from 0 to 30. 25 to 30 is usually considered normal. People with mild Alzheimer's tend to score in the 19 to 24 range. Lower than 19 indicates moderate dementia.

The test should be a part of an extensive medical work-up to rule out every other possible cause of any symptoms.

Thanks Nakamova,

From what my grandma told me it was just a short test that was given in the office by either the dr or the nurse (I can't remember which one she said).

I did some looking around on the internet and found a test and asked her if that was what he had taken and she said yes. It was one with simple questions with simple answers.

He still gave him some medicine to take however because of some of the other things that he does that could be related to alzheimers. For him NOTHING works right. He bought at least 5 GPS navigators (it may have been more) and taking them back because none of them were working right. He recently bought 3 different computers, taking them all back, because none of them worked right. I could keep typing about all the other things he's done like this but my fingers would get tired.

Also if you try to tell him how to do something or fix something it's the wrong way and the way he's doing it is the right way, even though it's not working.

I don't think he understands that things are so easy to use now and he tries to make it 10 time harder than it is. When he was younger you couldn't just plug something in and use it but now you can.

He argues alot also because he's right about everything. It's not his fault that he lost his glasses or misplaced something.

The dr said that these could be signs of alzheimers too so I think that's why he was given the medicine.

Thanks again.

What medicine was he put on? The Excelon Patch, you can be allergic to the glue. If you just take the medicine, it messes up your stomach. I found out that the medicines all work the same, except for the Stage 4 medicine.

I was diagnosed with Alz and I quit taking the meds. I was allergic to all of them. The medicines made me argumentative and my seizures increased.

The meds make you worse.

After all that, another neurologist tested me for Alzheimer's and it turned out that I do not have it. It was a nightmare going through it. Nobody knew if I knew what I was saying or not.

I am glad that I do not have it. I have MCI (mild-cognitive impairment.) We all have that. My doctor lied to me and it is down on my records.

Since I had my husband as a caregiver, I have become dependent on him. I am trying to break the dependency but it is not easy. A whole year was taken away from me.

How is he doing now?

HUGS,

Ruth

what your age ruth and forgive me rudeness it sound like my story i been dependent on husband or he like to think i am(different story)also lost bits of life,been tested for alz they say no and same as you it cognative problems

Hi cazzy,

You are not being rude, I am 69 years old. I am glad that you do not have dementia.

I was dependent on my husband when I was first told that I had Alz. Now that I know that I do not have it, it is hard to break the habit.

I think we all have cognitive problems due to our seizures and falls.

Alz is still "in the closet." The stigma is greater than that for epilepsy. I went through a horrible experience that I do not wish on any one else. Still some of my friends and family do not always believe what I say.

cazzy, ask me any questions you want to. You are not being rude.

Back
Top Bottom