Annoying mother!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I was going out with a guy for a few months but my mom made my break it coz she was scared I would get pregnant and she never trusted him. I told her that there was absolutely no way but she still wouldn't believe me. One day I was out with him with his dog and we brought the dog back to his house for literally two secs and she complexly flipped ad thought we did more than bring the dog back I tried to convince her but nothing would even he tried We lost touch fir a while and recently I was working at a rugby match and he just happened to be there. We have been texting each other a good bit and really want to get back together ( we kinda already are). I have spoke to her about it and she isn't happy about it and she said she cat trust me or him for that matter however I feel that it is my life and I think I should be able to date whom ever I want and go wherever I wanf.

catlover17

Our Irish mothers can be a bit over protective at the best of times, your mam need to realise that you have epilepsy but you do have a life of your own, the thing is times have changed and they are very different to when your mother was growing up, even if you do get pregnant that is you choice, your business and your decision, not mine and not your mothers, just yours.

There is one important question here " Do you like him and do you want this relationship to go further" if the answer is Yes then go for it and enjoy yourself. You should have heard my mother when I told her I was getting Married, "how can you get married, you have not even dated a girl yet" and then she went to my father and told him I could not get married. Little did she realise I was as normal as any other person and had dated girls and gotten my heart broken but I did meet that one person.

Trust is something that has to be earned but the trust between a mother and daughter or mother and son is totally different but no matter what country or where you live every mother will be the same and very protective of all there children even though it is hard for us to see it. Nobody will ever be good enough for her little girl, yes little girl, even though you have grown up. The Love, trust and protection received from a parent cannot really be compared to anything else no matter how we try.

But yes, your mother needs to realise you are intelligent, you are capable and you want to experience life with all its ups and downs. Forget trying to convince, try talking instead. But remember the final decision is your and yours only.

I hope that was not a Leinster rugby match you were working at. :roflmao:

Has he ever seen you have a seizure? The man I'd been dating when I was diagnosed with epilepsy, and I was having seizures like crazy, stayed with me for about 2 months but then broke up with me. I don't think we ever officially 'broke up' but he just stopped calling. I think he just didn't want to deal with me having seizures left and right. It's possible that she could think that something like this could happen to you and she doesn't want your heart to be broken.

I met my now husband a year after I'd been diagnosed with epilepsy and I was still having a ton of seizures a month. I had my first seizure in front of him about two weeks after we met, we were officially in a relationship at the time. It was a horrible one and I had to go to the ER. When my parents came to the hospital and saw him sitting in the waiting room my mom started crying and told him that he was probably going to stop dating me now that he saw what he was going to have to live with if we kept dating. He told my mom that I was great woman and he wasn't going anywhere! He started coming to my neuro appts with us a few months into the relationship. It was great because he was able to answer many of the questions the neuro had about my seizures because we spent a lot of time together and saw me having many of them. He asked a ton of questions too. I think he learned more about epilepsy than me or my family did because he wanted to understand what was going on and what he'd need to be doing when I had a seizure. Thirteen years later he's still here and I think he still knows more about epilepsy than any of us do!

Just because you're in a relationship doesn't mean that you're going to get pregnant either. There are many types of birth control that you can use, I'd been on birth control and never had any problems. Or you could just decide not to have intercourse until you were to get married.

As Fedup said sit down with your mother and have a conversation about it. Let her know what he's like and why you want to be with him. It's up to you though if you want to keep dating him or do what you're mother wants you to do.

Back
Top Bottom