Being left out in social situations

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

So in the past year and a half, I've been going through so much problems (increased seizures, horrible side effects, etc) to the point I had to take a year and a half off from college.

Last year, I lived with a group of girls, who I met through my sister, and we were all really close (one of the girls I've even known since high school) and they saw how bad I went through things, but still kind of kept their distance (my boyfriend who lived with his roommates would come over everyday to take care of me even if all my roommates were there). It's not that there was any drama, we got along great, and I never thought it was because they were squeamish with health related things because one is a nursing student, one is a social work major, and the other is a bio major. We used to have dinner parties every week with a small group of friends and just hang out- nothing super crazy!

Now this year, my boyfriend and I lived together and everyone else pretty much lives in separate houses but still very close (one is even our neighbor) and this year, I am never invited to hang outs. The only ones I am invited to are the ones that my sister plans (since I met them through her) and I always find out about parties after the fact from my sister. On top of that, my health continues to be in pretty bad shape and the last time anyone asked me how I was doing (at one of my sister's parties) was 2 months ago. I lived with these girls for a year and thought we were really close. My sister says that they ask her how I am doing but I haven't even gotten a text, call or anything from one of them. My sister is telling me that I should ask them how they are doing but I think it's weird to ask someone how they are doing just to fish and get them to ask me about my health (which because seeing my sister, they know is still bad). I mean, I have friends who live 2 and a half hours away and all across the country who ask once a week!

Sorry didn't mean to ramble there! Or sound like I'm a pathetic high school girl. It just hurts feeling ostricized and since this is the first time in my life my health has really gotten bad, I've never experienced this before. I would just like some advice: am I overreacting? What should I do in this kind of situation? There's supposed to be a Christmas party this weekend with all of them and my sister is now guilt tripping me because I really don't want to go. I've tried to organize hang out days before, but plans always fell through but always seem to come together with everyone else. Again, I am so sorry about the novel! :p

I think I can relate to where you are coming from, I've been in that sort of situation. Not all friends are the same. People care but they all have their own shit they are going through. I have friends like the people you mention. I've learned not to expect a lot from them. And I've learned that they will be there for me when I need them.

Then there are people like my friend Donna. I met her one day during a Dilantin over-dose, deep depression, go crazy time and just needed to vent to someone. Thought she would run away in horror. Instead she listened and talked and that day I met a very dear friend.

What I'm trying to say is that friends come in all different flavors. One or two may be dear friends, some may be good friends, some may just be friendly acquaintances. And I realize that that's okay. Because my friendly acquaintances are other people's dear friends and vice-versa.

Just don't be too hard on yourself or too demanding of your friends - let things fall into place naturally and accept what is.

Hope that makes sense.

This is when you find out who your true friends are. I know because there have people who just wouldn't come to pick me or give me a call about something.
If I called them they'd say they were thinking of me but were bad about calling and you can depend on Belinda. There scared I'll go down when I'm out with them and I've talk to them over and over

My own family leaves me out of get togethers and I hear about it months later.
Every since I married and showed them I was more than a person who just had epilepsy and spoke up for myself.

I agree with Dolores and Belinda. You will find your "true" friends and you must cherish them. I know that you are still young, so it'll take you awhile but believe me, it will be worth it. Concentrate on Yourself and live Your life the best you can.
Remember, "Everything is temporary!"
M

Thank you all for your advice. It just really sucks to be in these kinds of situations, especially with the lack of support I'm getting from my sister (which honestly hurts me more than the friends thing). I really appreciate your advice and just wish my friends who do ask lived closer by to hang out with them. But the good news is my boyfriend made reservations at this really nice restaurant by me and a night in the city to cheer me up so I've definitely have a support network!

Back
Top Bottom