Coping With Epilepsy International Society for Neurofeedback and Research
Free Advertisement

Go Back   Epilepsy Forum > Our House > The Lounge

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2018, 05:49 AM
Joined the Party

Bilingualism

I'm curious,

How many people here are capable of speaking in a different language as well as English?

Me, I'm not fluent in any of these yet but I'm capable of speaking phrases in Japanese, French, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish and the one I am best at, German. (Currently I can read it no problems but I am now learning more of it so I can speak certain amounts of it).
Old 10-11-2018, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator / Thank You Queen

Thanked 7,271 Times in 5,361 Posts
I know a bit of French, Spanish and Italian. But nowhere near fluent...
Old 10-17-2018, 05:56 PM
Esteemed Pillar of the Community

Other than English, I'm fluent in Urdu. Because I was taught how to read Arabic to read the Quran, I taught myself how to read & write Urdu. I also know some Spanish, from having to take a foreign language in high school.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:46 PM
CWE Supporter

Thanked 1,454 Times in 1,054 Posts
I took German when I was in high school but I don't remember too much of it because that was 20 years ago and my memory doesn't go back that far. I know I wasn't too good at it when I was in school though. I swore at the teacher once - said "F**** You" and had no clue that's what I said. Luckily the teacher knew that and I didn't get in trouble, the class got a kick out of it though!
Old 10-19-2018, 06:27 AM
Joined the Party

Originally Posted by valeriedl View Post:
I took German when I was in high school but I don't remember too much of it because that was 20 years ago and my memory doesn't go back that far. I know I wasn't too good at it when I was in school though. I swore at the teacher once - said "F**** You" and had no clue that's what I said. Luckily the teacher knew that and I didn't get in trouble, the class got a kick out of it though!
Haha, I swear in German at work all the time as I have only one other colleague who understands it so it flies over everybody else's heads
Old 10-23-2018, 07:11 AM
Weaving the Community Fabric

I can speak some German but it really is limited. My kid took German and was surprised by how much I knew after not taking a class in 25 years. I am very sure I if had time and a need that I could be fluent, it just comes natural.
French I took but could can only recognize a few phrases at best, the rules of pronunciation are what I can't do with that.
Other than that I can speak a little spanish and think I could learn it quickly.