Call of the wild?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Topcat

Stalwart
Reaction score
Even though he was neutered when I got him lately my cat keeps getting out any chance he can.

I am so mad at him. It mainly started when I got new doors. I keep forgetting to check that I have my sliding door shut really tightly. if I don't he will slip out.
There are many other cats in my neighborhood and apparently he wants to "visit" them.

Slipping Out

My cat does the same thing while I am talking with someone, like door to door salesperson, who comes to my door and I open the door to tell them I don't need any!
I hate having to chase him around outside in the winter!
Does your cat think everybody is his best buddy and start rubbing up on their legs? Even if he has never seen them before!

ACsHuman

My cat does the same thing while I am talking with someone, like door to door salesperson, who comes to my door and I open the door to tell them I don't need any!
I hate having to chase him around outside in the winter!
Does your cat think everybody is his best buddy and start rubbing up on their legs? Even if he has never seen them before!

ACsHuman

Pretty much. He is the friendliest of my crew.
I live in a corner house on one side is a fairly busy road. I just hope he doesn't try to cross that.

I had a golden retriever who would run out the door any chance he had and he would take off. He ran fast. I would have to step outside and close the door immediately when someone knocked at the door. I lived up north for a few years and I had to chase after him in the snow. He was very athletic. He also would dig holes under the fence in the backyard and take off. He was a free spirit and an amazing dog.

I got him back. :woot:

I've also been feeding some cat's of my neighbor's because I feel sorry for them.
I had one of them spayed myself and now I guess she is "my" cat.
So my little run away (named Toronto) is in love with her. She was on top of a mini shed and he wanted up to see her. Instead he jumped into a plastic tote box I have for her to shelter in. I was able to get him before he could get out. :clap:

Similarities

Topcat,
I use a tote when I want to teach mine to NOT jump onto something. He doesn't like falling into that tote, when I take the lid off and it is a different tote that is empty.:bigsmile:
I live on a corner with a busy street too. I fear his being hit!

ACsHuman

I got my cats, both boys, at the shelter. They were a few years old and neutered. For some reason one of them was on top of the other quite often.

I don't know if they had been indoor or out door cats before I got them but I have to watch when the doors are open or my cats will get out. I don't know if they do it do visit the cats in the area or if they just want to see what's out there.

I got a girl cat a few years ago and she hasn't tried to get out yet. Once I saw her sitting in the door when it was wide open but didn't go anywhere. It's the boy cat that I have to watch out for.

Glad you got him back!!!!!

I'm expecting a contractor, (to do some work on my new door) so I have him on lockdown in my bedroom. I'm not that worried about my others trying to get out.

Cat Causing Problems For Contractor

I had to shut AC away in the garage because he was so friendly with the contractor's carpenters that they asked me to remove him so that they could do their jobs and NOT have to worry about stepping on him.:dontknow:
One of the carpenters said he had never met such a 'talkative' cat in all of the years that he had worked in construction.:huh:
Yesterday he made friends with the woman who brought my meds to me. He had never seen her before!:ponder:

ACsHuman

In my experience with the wandering cats in our "neighborhood" the reason cats wander is not to hold feline social club tea parties but instead it is to kill stuff in other peoples yards.

I can see my neighbors cat run across the road to the other neighbors yard (the other neighbor feeds birds like we do) to kill birds at the bird feeder then little kitty crosses the 2 lane county "highway" (not a lot of traffic but they do go fast) to come to my yard to kill birds and squirrels.

The neighbors did not quite understand that their cute little snuggle buddy is actually a very well evolved and efficient killing machine, although when you deliver a box with the 20 dead birds and 3 dead squirrels to your neighbor for proper disposal they get a better idea of what Mr Fuzzy Boots is capable of.

Over the years we have been here I have scraped quite a few cats (and other wildlife) off the highway as they regularly get squished trying to come kill stuff in my yard and my neighbors yards.

Fixed cats usually do not fare well in turf battles with unfixed/feral cats.

A lot of this comes from the experience of owning many cats over the years. When I was a kid we let our cats run lose when they wanted but it ended with a few dead cats. When I became older and had my own cats I kept them inside.

Is this code for getting husband neutered sure help my e and every others other complaint which way is best a knee knife or brick I got no problems with all three

Is this code for getting husband neutered sure help my e and every others other complaint which way is best a knee knife or brick I got no problems with all three

Neutering will not stop a wandering husband, only change his destination.

When I was a teenager, a neighbor shot and killed my family's cat. The cat wasn't even on his property. It was in his next door neighbor's tree. Kids playing outside heard the gunshot and then saw the neighbor with a big bag in his hand that had the cat inside it. They also saw the gun in his hand. But, the police could not press charges b/c the kids did not actually see him pull the trigger which I thought was bullshit. The police knew he did it. I hated that bastard after he killed my family's cat. I gave him a dirty look every time I saw him. We lived in a nice suburb neighborhood.

Wandering Cat

When I lived on a farm growing up I used to be at my dad's side in town and hear neighbors tell dad how they had seen our tomcat in their yard when they had to get up in the middle of the night to do something and how they never had any orange colored kittens before seeing our tomcat(I wonder why). Some of these neighbors lived up to 2-3 miles from our farm. All I could think of was how lazy that same cat appeared to be on our farm. All he was ever doing was laying around sleeping, so I guess I figured out why he was always so tired and had to sleep all of time when he was home!:roflmao:

AcsHuman

He Was A Farm Cat

NO, NO you can't do that to a farm cat unless they are going to be in the house. You have to have potent tomcats on the farm or you run out of cats eventually!:ponder:
I was only 10yo! TOO YOUNG

ACsHuman

Back
Top Bottom