does anyone know anything about selective mutism?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

alice123

New
Reaction score
Hi. Not epilepsy related but possibly the reason I have trouble talking to my parents about issues and prefer to talk to anyone but them. Even with school i would prefer to go home and not talk to them.I would keep school and home seperate often acting different at school. I prefer to talk to friends or even strangers about my problems. Sometimes adults but I prefer to talk to young people my age (21).

When I think about telling them about medical problems I get embarrassed and when I think about if I were ever to be in hospital! I would never want them there because I feel it would just stress me out more. I don't want them staring at me.

When speaking to them i often give quick short or angry answers to avoid talking.

I don't like them knowing my business. Let me know what you think! I was fine as a child and spoke to my mum. I have a developmental learning disability that's mild! So maybe that's why.

Sorry, I don't know too much about it. I do know that some autistic people have selective mutism.

My 3 1/2 year old grandson has autism so I have read a lot about autism. He is non-verbal but it is not non-selective. He won't talk at all. :(

Back
Top Bottom