Driving with epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

So does not every state permit driving with epilepsy or are there a few that did?

Each state governs and regulates their own time frame. There is no national standard. Permission is only allowed by the doctors' signature. If he thinks you will do good and is willing to risk the liability, he will sign the permission slip.

If you have a seizure while driving, your privlages will be revoked until you are deemed well enough to drive.

Is the accident rate in America higher because people can drive after 3 months of not driving?

Actually few accidents are ever seizure related. We have a more seious problem with drunk drivers. I have read a few stories in the news but DUI's are ALL the time and they don't lose their licenses as easily as a person with epilepsy. Yet a drunk can "control" the drink. per say as to when and where they will drink and get drunk.

If your seizures are stress related, then driving is NOT a good idea. I have never has a seizure when I drove but because heat is a trigger for me, I avoid driving in the summer months, just to be safe. If I even feel a bit wonky I won't get behind the wheel. Come to think of it, I really don't do much driving anyway, we have one car so my hubby does most.

RachelR said:
So does not every state permit driving with epilepsy or are there a few that did?

I'm not sure if I would want to drive 3 months after being seizure free as I would be scared if I had another one and the stress of driving may trigger one off.

Is the accident rate in America higher because people can drive after 3 months of not driving?

I find that hard to believe, up here in Canada we have to go seizure free for 2 yrs(sometimes 1 yr depending on the severity)
The Ministry of Transportation has REALLY tightened up the rules in this area to prevent traffic accidents.

My 2 yrs has been up since Dec/04 but I still don't want to take the chance. As stated in the post above, I'm really surprised that DUI's get off so easily but if you have a known seizure condition they're pretty fast to confiscate your licence. To me it's not worth the hassle.

Randy

but what I find hard to believe is that we with epilepsy are banned from driving for x amount of months, but people drive with heart conditions and are prone to heart attacks. Surely they should be banned in case they had a heart attack while at the wheel

Rachell,

I agree with you 100% on this one plus drunk drivers should face stiffer penalties.

Randy

Driving for people with E should be allowed if the person has a warning well in advance of the seizure and if the doctor can allow it (e.g. if someone has nocturnal seizures they they should be allowed to drive during the day)

If it can be proved that you only have Nocturnal seizures in the UK you are allowed to drive.It has to be for a certain amount of time Rachel.

I know what you mean. It's frustrating. I hate to have to wait for my mother to pick me up, or to take me to school. I mean, if they're so concerned, why do they let people who are drunk drive? Or those kids I've seen at school? Or people who haven't slept enough? Or people who drive distracted? They are just as dangerous, and maybe even more, because they are doing it on purpose.

Police officers Anita and Paul Rowland, both 27, lost their two-year-old son Jet and their other son seven-year-old Bailey was rendered a paraplegic, in the crash on February 28, last year.

Mrs Rowland was taking the boys to their grandparents' home for a swim when a car crossed the median strip on the Logan Motorway, south of Brisbane, and crashed into their car.

Another car then hit them from behind, causing their car to roll and catch fire.

Deputy State Coroner Christine Clements today opened an inquest into circumstances surrounding Jet's death.

Today, the court heard the driver of the vehicle, Ian Alexander McLeod, crossed the median strip because he had an epileptic seizure.

Police officer Sergeant James Thomas Hickey said Mr McLeod told him he was on medication for epilepsy, but had been cleared to drive by a doctor.

He has no recollection of the crash and told Mr Hickey the last thing he remembers was paying a toll on the motorway.

Sgt Hickey told the court that doctors should be required to inform Queensland Transport of those motorists that had epilepsy and whether or not they were considered fit to drive.

A HORROR three-car collision, which killed a toddler and paralysed his brother, was caused by a motorist having an epileptic seizure, a court has heard.

I know what you mean. It's frustrating. I hate to have to wait for my mother to pick me up, or to take me to school. I mean, if they're so concerned, why do they let people who are drunk drive? Or those kids I've seen at school? Or people who haven't slept enough? Or people who drive distracted? They are just as dangerous, and maybe even more, because they are doing it on purpose.

I know I have already had this conversation with my primary care physician and she told me that my instances are so rare, mild, and related to my sleep she didn't feel I needed to stop driving. Whew! Now, my boyfriend keeps bring this topic up with me and he is sending me looney with his, "but it could happen," responses and concerns. It seems to me no matter how much I try to explain to him the doc. OK'd me to drive it's not go enough for him.

I tend to agree with a lot of what has been said here from not driving if your seizures are uncontrolled to those idiots driving with a cell phone! I threw back at my boyfriend if he is concerned with me, then I don't want him behind the wheel after he has had several beers. He didn't like that response at all. And tried the whole illegal thing with me and I told him AGAIN I can drive with my docs. permission, which I have. And he may be the one driving illegally after several beers. He finally gave up on this particular discussion for now.

It is up to the patient and the doctor to decide what activities are appropriate. Some of us will never drive again, while others may be OK to engage in the activity that is driving. No I will not be goaded by guilt or fear regarding my permitted driving ability. There are far more accidents that occur due to risky behavior unrelated to E and perhaps those behaviors should be controlled as stringently as those with E.

Results: An average of 44,027 US drivers died annually as a result of motor vehicle crashes during 1995–97; however, only 86 (0.2%, range 82 to 97) of these deaths were associated with seizures in mortality reports....(excerpt) http://www.neurology.org/cgi/content/abstract/63/6/1002

All the other causes of accidents ranged from distraction being number one to drunk driving, even heart disease was sited. The article concludes with the consideration of the relaxation of the restriction standards. Epilepsy is .2%, two tenths of 1 percent.

Mayhaps regulations are so tight as to the unpredictability of epileptic episodes as to the predictability of drinking

I do however agree with the conclusion...

Conclusion: Fatal driver crashes due to seizures are uncommon. This finding supports the current public policy of permitting patients whose seizures are controlled to drive.

If driving makes YOU uncomfortable as a person with a seizure disorder, then don't drive, Especially if stress is a trigger. Driving is highly stressful. Look at all those idiots out there with cell phones, DUI, kids jumping around in the car, TV's No need to tempt fate.

As for myself, I know when I am feeling a bit punky and don't push it, even though stress is NOT my trigger. Just don't want to hurt anyone. I don't do a whole lot of driving anyway, The most I've driven was to my dad's funeral and back then to my mom's 4 month's later. The drive is 5 hours one way, in the turnpike out into the middle of nowhere florida. Did both trips alone and no problem and the road was under construction most of the way. I enjoyed the alone time.

Driving

Sigh...

Oh al right. I'll stay on my meds for a while longer. Hopefully, this won't last forever.

I realize I'm replying to an older post, but this made me smile.

In America don't you generally just get on a plane and fly from A to B if its a huge distance and isn't your local bus network any good?

I'm out in the boonies, and there is not a bus network to be had, good or bad. The closest place to us that actually has public transportation is over 60 miles away.
Besides, even if there were public transport available here, would they let me carry the things I pick up while running errands? Like, bags of feed, bales of hay, ect? :lol:

Rachel, I mean no disrespect, I just got tickled at the mental image your question conjured up. :lol:

That's OK. I used to travel quite a bit for work and have actually met people who were surprised that we don't have tumbleweeds blowing around here in Houston (or that most people in Houston do not own horses).

We have tumbleweeds in Vegas and horses. The bars on the outskirts of town (near where I live) used to have signs posted next to the register
"Check you gun if you want to drink here"
It wasn't unusual for a cowboy to walk in wearing his pistols. They shot at the rattlesnakes as they'd ride their horses to the bars.
In fact there are several bars near my home that have hitching posts.

But back to public transport....
Our system is much better than it used to be, but still very unreliable. The buses break down in the summer heat and replacements seldom come and often breaking down too.

I'd LOVE to see someone get on the bus with a bale of hay or bag of feed. They make the kids put their skateboards in bags before they allow them to board. NO wheels on the bus.

DRIVING

Hi: I have never driven even when I had 24 yrs sz free, the thought of
driving scared me. You never know with epilepsy.

I have lived in NYC, Montreal, and Portland they all had public transportation. Portland public transportation is not as good as NYC or Montreal.

I don't have perception nor sense of direction. I don't think I could live with the idea I hurt or killed someone. Better to ask for a lift or use public transportation.

Heres to keeping ourselves and others safe!!!

Theres no shame in asking for a lift or using public transportation when its for your safety and the safety of others.

Positiveperson

Interesting research by the University of Florida:
“Whether or not they can drive and how they can drive is always an issue with the epilepsy population,” Bautista said. “We set out to identify two things — what factors are associated with driving and why folks who ought not to be driving continue to drive.”

But even strict regulations don’t keep some epilepsy patients from driving when they’re not supposed to. UF researchers surveyed more than 300 patients in northeast Florida and southeast Georgia being treated for epilepsy and found that nearly 20 percent of those who had at least one seizure a year drove. Even worse, nearly 25 percent of patients who reported daily seizures admitted to driving occasionally, Bautista said.

Bautista said he was surprised by the reason why some study participants continued to drive: Most did so not because they had achieved good seizure control or did not have side effects from their medication, but because they needed to get to and from work.

Ultimately, seizure-related motor vehicle accidents make up a small proportion of all crashes, said Dr. Robert S. Fisher, a neurology professor and director of the Stanford Epilepsy Center. A 2003 study he conducted with Mayo Clinic neurologist Dr. Joseph Drazkowksi, and others compared seizure-related motor vehicle crashes in Arizona before and after the state eased its driving restrictions, requiring drivers to be seizure-free for only three months instead of a year.

“Although this issue receives a lot of attention because of a few tragic anecdotes, we found that only 125 of 164,000 crashes in Arizona over a period of six years were likely due to seizures,” Fisher said. “This is a very small fraction compared to other risks at the wheel, and education of patients, families, physicians and the public is needed to put the true risks of seizures at the wheel in perspective.”

People with epilepsy who are a possible risk to themselves or others should not drive, Bautista stressed. But physicians and community leaders need to address epilepsy patients’ deeper needs — the chance to be productive and have gainful employment despite their condition, he said.

Study reveals many people with epilepsy risk driving to get to work

I live in Minnesota and a person has to be seizure free for one year. The doctor reports to the Drivers liscense bureau. Every year you have to fill out a report stating that you have been seizure free, and your doctor has to sign it and then the state oks it.. I didnt get the note to my doctor soon enough and my liscense was taken away for a couple weeks until things got straightened out. and then you deal with insurance...
I have had seizures while driving, and am very thankful I didnt hurt anyone else. I myself got hurt, but was very lucky no one else did.
It comes down to driving is a privelege.... I feel very confident now, but I do not drive for long periods of time..

Driving without a car in Portland, OR?

Does anyone know about this city? I've done some research and the public transport system seems to be pretty good, just hoping anyone lives in the area and can let me know.

Thanks a lot,

Jil

Back
Top Bottom