For gardeners...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Wow !! I didn't have time tonight to join and read but I will tomorrow. Thank you Bernard.
I spent this morning planting day lilies I bought on eBay. I buy day lilies as fast as I can. :D :D :D
And I'm waiting for my blackberry lily seed pods to dry so I can pick those and mail them off to somebody on HGTV message board. Someone there sent me 3 butterfly bushes and someone else sent me dozens of lilies.

Sweet! I have a ton of (almost burnt) orange day lilies that bloom for an extended period Spring-early Summer. When they are all blooming, my back yard is full of orange.

This weekend I will try to post a better inventory of plants/seeds that I have available to trade/give. :)

Spring is here in Houston and I'm already 'jonesing' to get out there and plant some tomatoes.

collards.jpg

I'm gonna hack these Collard Greens tomorrow with all the YUM-O's
as Rachel Ray would say - LOL!
:lol:

Slow cook'em all day

mangos1.jpg

And looks like I'm gonna me on a Mango Spree this year!
:D

I love mangos!

Mango Ice Cream, Mango snacks, Dried Mangos,
Mango this, Mango that ...

I'm a Mango Fanatic!
:wink:

Ooo, I'm jealous. I tried growing some Mango trees here and all of them froze to death in the winter(s). I do however have a couple of potted Haas avacado trees that suvived the winter in my back patio that I'm considering planting in the ground.

I make the best mango bread! I'll take any extra mangos off your hands, Southie. They are so expensive here in Vegas and they aren't really good ripe. I think ours come from South America.

When I lived in Fl. I had a huge mango tree in the back yard. Oh did this thing bear fruit! We had a rodent problem because of the abundance.

And in the same topic....

For almost 2 years now, I have been seizure free, but I really pushed it yesterday.

One of my triggers is physical exertion. It was such a pretty day, so I went out in the back yard and cleaned up my rockery. Reset all the curbstones and pulled all the weeds. I took my time and lots of breaks. Bending forward pulling weeds is very dangerous for me, that always sends me to outter limits. I took one of the kids' naughty stools outside and sat on that to do my gardening.

Outside of being very sore, tired and a little sunburned, so far so good. It looks like my personal threshold has been raised again I think I can garden again!

ME SO HAPPY!!! WHOO-HOO! :brock:

My hips and wrists are screaming and I can barely walk, but it's a "good" pain, one from doing something you love. Cross your fingers that I can continue my gardening forrays.

Southie, I HATE collard greens, but I have to admit your's are absolutly beautiful. My mother loved to eat greens but the smell of them cooking was noxious to me. (BTW we come from the south so collards were served often)

1) I'm 100% southern and a Collard Green addict,
and I DID complain a lot - especially when vEEG
last year

"WHAT KIND OF A HOSPITAL IS THIS? WE'RE IN
THE SOUTH AND THERE'S NO COLLARD GREENS
HERE? HAS THE YANKEES TAKEN OVER?"

(My mom snuck me in some collard greens with
all the fixings and apparently I learned a lot of
staff folks HATES collard greens and they just
watched me just eat it all with sheer passion.)

:lol:

2) The Mangos I have are actually Tommy Mangos,
that are native to this area ... they get about 8-9"
long, kind of slim - but they have very tiny slender
seeds - and are NOT stringy!

But I have a Mango Problem - and like Frito-Lay's,
I can't stop eating after one "chip"! (Or was that
Wise Potato Chips?)

:(

PS: Bernard - Mangos are Tropical Plants, they will
not survive if the temps drops below 36* more than
a day or two, unless they've been well established for
at least 5-10 years, they can handle 2-3 days of a cold
rush, but other than that - you're pretty much out of
luck! Sorry!

:?

3) Birdbomb -something's wrong with you not liking
Collard Greens, but then again something's wrong with
me not liking Turnip Greens *gag* - so let's count it
even!

Birdbomb -something's wrong with you not liking
Collard Greens, but then again something's wrong with
me not liking Turnip Greens *gag* - so let's count it
even!

Nothing wrong here, I like spinach, broccoli, green beans and will kill for a pan of my grandmother's fried okra! Throw in Chicken and Dumplings, cornbread and homemade fried apple pies and I'm back in Chattanooga and in heaven!
essen%5B1%5D.gif

Birdbomb said:
Nothing wrong here, I like spinach, broccoli, green beans and will kill for a pan of my grandmother's fried okra! Throw in Chicken and Dumplings, cornbread and homemade fried apple pies

NOW YOU'RE TALKING BABY!!

Why did you stop?
:shock:

I grow Okra - and I also fry them too, but there's a secret
of frying them without making them so greasy! :wink:

(same applies to fried fish too)

I only share this secret with special people!

8)

Had to stop, was drooling all over keyboard and was in danger of being electrocuted. :lol:

My grandmother was a wonderful cook. She owned a restruaunt during the depression and used to make chicken and dumplings for those hungry, out of work folks who had no money. (not like these lousey homeless guys begging for money on the streetcorners like we have today)

Always had a garden out back of the house and grew all their own veggies. She loved the greens too. Taught me how to pick okra, itchy stuff! I can't cook okra like her but my chicken and dumplings taste as good as her's did.

Birdbomb said:

Taught me how to pick okra, itchy stuff!

They now have "spineless" okra.

Ummm - it's not what you think before you get any
wild ideas - I think "hairless" okra would have been
more, ya know ...

:roll:

Congrats BB on making it through your gardening exercise without problems. Digging in the dirt is a very grounding experience for me (haha).

As a vegetarian for 20+ years now, I like just about every vegetable available. :)

If you ever picked okra, it's like rolling in fiberglass insulation. Spineless is fine by me.

Thank's Mr. B

The epilepsy didn't react but the RA is SCREAMING. I cannot move my right hand and it 's very swollen. Some trade, huh? Dark planet or world of pain.

I have a rockery because I have a brown thumb. Can't grow a damn thing. I kill silk plants! I bought I got a barrel cactus and a medusa head last summer and they are doing great. But the freeze we had nearly killed the medusa, she's coming back nicely. I have managed to keep my climbing rose going and it's spectacular! Just loaded and ready to bloom. If I remember, I'll get a few shots and post them here when it does bloom.

Birdbomb said:
Can't grow a damn thing. I kill silk plants!

OK NOW YOU'VE DONE IT!

How in the world do you KILL silk plants?
Inquiring minds wants to know!
<--- thinking of how much money I can
make if I can come up with a good article
for the National Enquirer Magazine (ducking head)
:secret:

I'm Kidding! I'm Kidding!

bernard said:
As a vegetarian for 20+ years now, I like just about every vegetable available. :)

In the midst of the night, you will find ME,
not a rabbit, raiding in the garden of lettuces,
radishes, etc ...
:oops:
That's my midnight snack!

I never was a junk food eater!

Back
Top Bottom