Greatest Artists Of All Time

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hey guys...watched VH1s "Greatest Artists Of All Time" in which they polled music experts, musicians, analysts, etc. to create a list. Anyways, I figured I'd ask regular people who they considered the greatest musical artist of all time. VH1 kept it in the 20-21st centuries, so....now their number 1 was of course my favorite band, so. and steph knows who that is....=). so if you wanna respond feel free.

Right,my mum rekons Queen,my dad says Jerry Lee Lewis and im gonna go for a band called Portishead.Every time i listen to one of their cds its like the first time all over again,the most emotinal music i have ever heard and probaly will hear in my life time.The cd Dummy is exellent,dont expect to jump around the room to them but lay back with a good set of ear phones and chill out,magic.

all good choices. i like all three. jerry lee lewis had kind of a weird personal life but his music was good

Well I can say that I have listened to all kinds of music: punk, rap, rock, country, oldies, classical, etc but I honestly have never heard of them before. You got me stumped. I will look them up and listen though if you think they are the greatest I'm assuming they are probably good

I love them because of how deep their lyrics are. buck 65 also sings in french and uses many musical styles in a single album. Like Rap, punk, country, rock, latin, french, etc. Its great. Secret House Against The World is a great album by him.

Gregory and the hawk has simple indie folk songs, but the lyrics are pretty awesome.

VH1 compiled their list on influence, sales, popularity, skill and longevity i believe

Not sure if can call these the greatest artists of all time, but... I like Portishead too and other electronic bands like Zero 7, Morcheeba and Bitter:Sweet. Also fond of the Breeders (Last Splash cd), Kris Delmhorst (folkie/indie). For some reason soundtrack albums make me happy: 8 1/2, The Anniversary Party, Magnolia, etc.

For classical I love Bach's Unaccompanied Cello Suites. Yo Yo Ma has a kick-ass recording. And Mitsuko Uchida doing Mozart's complete piano sonatas.

another good list of artists. when i was watching VH1 and they said "all time" wouldn't you think that would include classical composers and not just bands/solo artists from the 20th century?

Well, H1 has never been big on promoting classical music, and they probably figure most of their audience isn't either. Bach didn't do a lot of music videos... :)

lol no he didn't. video killed the harpsichord star. now......the big question is, think like VH1 would: who do you think they chose as #1? im a young guy but they are still my fav. artist(s), and i knew before it even started that this artist(s) would be it.

Nope, I went off and got another cup of coffee... The Beatles were so productive, and so influential culturally and musically that it seems a no-brainer. The music world and business has changed enough since that there may never be another band that can replicate their impact.

agreed totally. i went on a message board and there was a big debate. a bunch of people were arguing that michael jackson should have been cause he was #2 but i disagree

The beatles were very big. in fact I am listening to them right now!

Remember the controversy started when John Lennon stated that they were bigger than Jesus?

I mean technically there were more people who liked the beatles than there were people who believed in jesus at the time. So I could see how they picked them.

yeah i remember that. and of course, like i said i'm a huge fan and i've seen many interviews with john lennon and according to him, what he said was taken in the wrong context. like you said, during that time period, when he stated that, he wasn't claiming that they were greater but to general public - more popular. and i believe him.

video killed the harpsichord star.
:roflmao:

Anyway, yeah, the Beatles are definitely up there on my list, I'm kind of rediscovering them. I can't say I have one favorite singer or group, it depends a lot on my mood, but the Beatles have a song for just about every feeling. I find that "All You Need Is Love" works as a kind of chant or mantra when I'm feeling irritable; a few "All you need is love, buh, buh, buh,da, da, buh(or whatever:eek:) all you need is love....love is all you need" and I feel a lot calmer:)

most definitely. george harrison is my favorite and although the lennon/mccartney duo is better known for their absolute lyrical genius, i did a report on "within you, without you" in english 102 last semester (which was written by harrison). i did very well on it. perfect score, but if you read the lyrics it is one of the deepest beatle songs ever written and carries so much meaning to it. plus, the song in itself is so progressive because of choice of instruments they use in it (citar, bongos) very middle eastern sounding. and just to listen to it is so soothing.

Back
Top Bottom