Are Helmets A Good Idea When Exercising

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

rich956

New
Reaction score
Are Helmuts A Good Idea When Exercising?
The topic came up when a relative asked me if I was going to wear some kind of head gear when I start running again...
I really never thought about it until she asked me and said that it worried her alittle.
The more I thought about it it made me wonder more about the dangers without any protection.
I do use one for cycleing but that's about it.
Does anyone have any input on this ?

how prone are you to seizures, ever thought of running in the grass?

how prone are you to seizures, ever thought of running in the grass?

only once a month with tc's . that's what worries me the most is falling is the path of traffic or something .
yeah grass is soft,lol
:comp:

Do you get any warning before your tonic-clonics? Have you injured yourself before? Do the seizures always happen when you're running? The helmet would help the most if you can predict when/where your seizures will occur. But if you can get them anywhere at any time, there's only so much a helmet can do. It might protect from a fall while running out doors, but you might still hit your head on the corner of the coffeetable at home. (I'm not saying this to be a downer, just to suggest that there are limits on how much we can bubble-wrap our environments.). If you will feel safer with a helmet on, then go for it. If possible, make sure to also carry an ID with info your epilepsy, meds, etc.

No warnings at all.
yes there have been a few that were bad.

wish I could post pics of the crash but I thick that's alittle scary.
Thanks for your input...

I don't get warnings either. I had one seizure just AFTER I'd gotten out of the water after swimming all alone. During that seizure I did the most damage to my shoulder rather than my head. I've gotten some nasty headaches, but no crashes. I hope you stay safe out there.

Back
Top Bottom