I watched this on YouTube from the WHO.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Frink

New
Reaction score
I watched this on YouTube from the WHO.

The WHO claims there is an epilepsy medication that can make 70% of epileptics seizure free and it only costs $5 per year!!!

None of my neurologists/ epileptologists know of such a powerful seizure med that can cause seizure freedom in 70% of patients, and even the cheapest generics are about $30 per month.

All the epi-docs I talk to state the 1/3 control, 1/3 reduction, 1/3 no relief, efficacy rates for seizure meds.

Anyone have a clue what the WHO is talking about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SshVn6MUGxA

Last edited:
That's interesting.
If so many people can be seizure FREE from this medication, then wouldn't they charge more? Sounds like a "miracle drug". Why not make more money from a health condition that causes a lot of distress and saves lives?
As resaebiunne said, sounds too good to be true.
Maybe the video is referring to future medication that's currently being researched, but I still don't believe it.

I'm not sure they're speaking about a wonder drug, rather they are saying that with medication, over 70% of people with E can be controlled with medication. There are plenty of generic medications available that are cheap enough that they could be affordable to people in 3rd world countries. Keppra and Lamictal generics are available at relatively cheap prices compared to their brand name equivalents and would probably work fine for most people. At least in the US, prices are adjusted accordingly because of the larger demand and higher incomes of most people.

I agree with resaebiunne that they weren't speaking of a wonderdrug but I thought they were talking about the 30% of epileptics that don't have access to medication.

Also, they didn't say they could cure all seizures for $5 year, they said it (meaning the access to medications we already have) could cost as little as $5 a year. That means it could cost $5 & more to treat someone with the medications we are already have.

"But what if we told you there is a solution? That 70% of people with epilepsy can be seizure free with proper treatment and this treatment costs as little as $5 (US) per year. That's right, $5 US, per year!"

I know (have seen/ read articles) that some older medications can be cheaply manufactured for distribution to 3rd world markets. This would mean old drugs like phenobarb, phenytoin, and carbemazepine could be made cheaply for foreign markets.

If they are talking about a newer medication like Lamotrigine or levetiracetam, even the generics cost hundreds of dollars per month here and no seizure med provides seizure freedom in 70% of people with epilepsy, no seizure med any Dr or pharmacist is aware of.

Anti-epileptic Drugs

Hi Frank,

I think the WHO is referring to the following:

The quote below is taken from Epilepsy Society's website.

Up to 70% of people could have their epilepsy controlled with medication (anti-epileptic drugs).
https://www.epilepsysociety.org.uk/treatment#.V3JO8mxTFjs

I have often wondered how this would work out for each of the Anti-epileptic Drugs/Antiepileptic Drug combinations.

Last edited:
Maybe they are using a new definition of seizure free or controlled.
To me, and my Dr's, to be "controlled" or "seizure free" means no seizures.

As of today, there is no single AED or combination of AED's that can achieve seizure freedom or seizure control for 70% of people with epilepsy, at least not by my understanding of the definition of seizure control or seizure freedom.

What I have seen, read, heard and experienced is the roughly 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 theory. With monotherapy 1/3 of people will get control, 1/3 will get a reduction in seizure activity and 1/3 will get no benefit.

With polytherapy if you do not get control with a single med the chances of a second med giving control is around 10% and if 2 meds do not give control the chances of a third med giving control is only around 1%.

I do not believe, nor am I suggesting, that the WHO has access to some secret wonder med, what I am saying is they are basically lying, they are sugar coating the truth in a "feel good" attempt to drum up support.

Now if there is a way to provide seizure meds to people for only $5 per year, and those meds only have the same efficacy as they do everywhere else on earth, I am all for providing those meds to the people who need them.

I wish we could get some $5 per year seizure meds everywhere, and I wish they all could provide seizure freedom/control in 70% of patients.

Back
Top Bottom