If we did not have a Dog or Cat

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

CQ:)

Veteran
Reaction score
If we Didn't Have a Dog or Cat......

I could walk around the yard barefoot in safety.

catpup1.jpg

Our house could be carpeted instead of tiled and laminated.
All flat surfaces, clothing, furniture, and cars would be
free of hair.

catsleeping.jpg

When the doorbell rings, it wouldn't sound like a kennel.

catdog1.jpg

When the doorbell rings, we could get to the door without
wading through fuzzy bodies who beat us there.

catfriends.gif

We could sit on the couch and the bed the way we wanted,
without taking into consideration how much space several
fur bodies would need to get comfortable.

catchair.jpg

We would have money, and no guilt to go on a real vacation.
We would not be on a first-name basis with 6 veterinarians,
as we put their yet unborn grandkids through college.

catstep.jpg

The most used words in our vocabulary would not be:
out, sit, down, come, no, stay, and leave it ALONE.
The house would not be cordoned off into zones with baby gates or barriers.

catkitten.jpg

We would not talk 'baby talk'.
'Eat your din din'.
'Yummy yummy for the tummy'..

cattwitching.gif

The house would not look like a day care center, toys everywhere.

catsbox.jpg

Our pockets would not contain things like poop bags,
treats and an extra leash.

dogsleeping.jpg

We would no longer have to spell the words
B-A-L-L, W-A-L-K, T-R-E-A-T, O-U-T, G-O, R-I-D-E, C-O-O-K-I-E

dalmations.jpg

There would not have as many leaves INSIDE the house as outside.

cattree.jpg

We would not look strangely at people who think having
ONE dog/cat ties them down too much.

pupseating.jpg

We would look forward to spring and the rainy season
instead of dreading 'mud' season.

We would not have to answer the question 'Why do you have
so many animals?' from people who will never have the joy
in their lives of knowing they are loved unconditionally by
someone as close to an angel as they will ever get.

How EMPTY life would be!!!!!!!!!!
dogcartoon.gif

Dude! You've been to my house! 5 cats 2 dogs.

Can't find my photo of the dogs wearing CWE shirts.

Attachments

• shoeboes.jpg
    shoeboes.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 3
I have two noisy, destructive, flying-around-the-room-occasionally-dropping-one budgies.

And i LUFF them :D

Even if i do have to buy them new toys every couple of weeks, listen to their dawn "chorus", stuff them full of millet spray and watch feathers float everywhere during their moulting times haha

Last edited:
My parents have a dog (aswell as couple of bunnies & chooks).

My parents dog Lilly likes to sleep on the bed & you have to spell certain words when she's around so she doesn't get excited (eg bicky, drive, walk) but I wouldn't change her for the world.

Lilly's a beautiful dog who is very obedient & loyal to the family. My Mum likes to think Lilly looks out for me & my Dad when we aren't well. Lilly doesn't hurt any of the other animals & always comes tell you when it's time to have feed the animals lmao.

I can't have animals where I live but if I was ever in the situation where I could own my own pet then I'd definately get a dog :).

lillyfinishbath.jpg

Lilly

Last edited:
CQ, is it possible for you to register for a seizure response dog?

you'd be doing yourself some good and they cannot discriminate about you keeping a service dog living with you.

CQ, is it possible for you to register for a seizure response dog?

you'd be doing yourself some good and they cannot discriminate about you keeping a service dog living with you.

Hi Rae -

I only live in a smaller town so I don't think you can get seizure alert dogs where I live.

I don't think i'd be eligible for a seizure alert dog because my seizures are only auras or partial seizures.

I only live in a block of units so it's a no pet policy plus we only have small yards which aren't seperated.

My parents take Lilly with her everywhere so i often see her when my parents come visit.

CQ,

See your neurologist or primary care physician and see if they will approve of a dog as a service animal - a seizure assist dog. A pet can be trained for this. Their job isn't to alert for seizures, just to help you during and after. They can bark for help, bring you a water bottle, provide comfort and help in reorienting yourself. Since the dog is a service animal your apt building would HAVE to allow it. :)

My cat knows when I have a sez. He will not leave me alone and follow me all over the house.

I usually lay down after one and fall asleep. There he is up on my chest sleeping with me. He knows when his mommy doesn't feel good and takes really good care of me!

My cat knows when I have a sez. He will not leave me alone and follow me all over the house.

I usually lay down after one and fall asleep. There he is up on my chest sleeping with me. He knows when his mommy doesn't feel good and takes really good care of me!
I had a cat that was the same. It was so nice to have him just cuddle when I went to sleep after a seizure.

I don't think I would be able to live without my "Umi"/ Umbro (his guide dog/on duty name).
He is my little boy- he is a guide dog and seizure responce dog. He also helps me with my hearing loss since he responds to my name being called out- or someone I know calling his name. I can be walking somewhere and if I'm ahead of everyone- he will look behind him, and stop if someone calls me or him.

Without my boy with me, I definitely would not want to travel independently as I do now.
I feel safe with him and he goes every where I go, even to the E.R!
He goes on the buses, to school (while in college), to the hospital, resturants, anywhere were the public can go, Umbro goes.

He will be turning 7 in July. He has been working for me for the last 5 years now and he means the world to me.

During a seizure while walking, he will walk slower and eventually stop fully in front of me. A guide dog is always to walk on your left side, pulling while you hold the harness handle. But for some reason, Umbro will stop and turn, keeping me from walking forward. Umbro is able to tell my balance changing too- if I walk during a complex partial, I walk very off center an poorly. Sometimes I still hold the harness handle and he probably does his best to balance with me.
If I am sitting or resting, he notices something is wrong when I don't respond to him- or he is close by and knows something is not right.
After the seizure, he will curl up in a little ball behind my legs. I always sleep on one side or the other- leaving him enough room to curl his 60lb yellow lab self behind my knees. lol

Umbro, as a guide dog, never leaves my side- and since he is able to tell something is wrong during a seizure, or before it- he really stays close by and is always cautious.
I didn't think I would be able to get a guide dog since I have epilepsy and hearing impairment as well.
No problem for Guiding Eyes for the Blind where I got him.

My school was the first to train a dog for someone with blindness and epilepsy. His dog was trained at two separate schools in order to be able to do both jobs.
Awesomeness..

Everyone take care,
Barks from Umbro

ENDLESS-
There are two types of seizure working dogs:
1. Seizure responce dog- a dog who will respond or behave in a way that was taught to the dog based off of the dog's observation of the person's bahvior. If you are sitting and unresponsive or loss of balance, the dog understands something is wrong and tries to get your attention then follows this up with a specific task. The dog might pull a radio chord to page someone, sit close to you on the floor and bark to get attention, or other taught skills.
2. Seizure Alert dog- a dog that actually senses a seizure happening before the owner can. This is more rare and harder to find. Some dogs notice behavioral changes, chemical smells and other cues that signal something bad is about to happen. Some dogs will give a bark, some will sit close to you, some will start to paw at you, or lick your hand as a way to alert you.
This cannot be taught into them- they either have the skill or they don't.
In either case- the seizure responce/alert dog has to be a dog that happens to be more aware of these things than ordinary dogs. Service dog schools choose dogs that work with people and their seizures based on how responsive the dog is to the person. They choose the person and dog to create a team. If the team bonds- the training can start.

Service dog schools use the dog's natural abilities and determine if this is a good choice of work for them.
Some people might meet their possible dog teammate just to find out that the dog doesn't sence much- or doesn't quite bond like they should.

Sometimes it takes 2-3 tries before a perfect match is made.
Its a lot different for a guide dog like Umbro though. They took into consideration of my blindness, hearing imp. and epilepsy when choosing Umbro.
We usually have to wait 6-12 months to get our doggies and it requires an home interview, review of orientation and mobility skills/travel and lifestyle and where we live and what our daily lives are like- going to school or work etc.

If anyone needs more info or has questions, feel free to PM or post back.

Barks from Umbro
Take care everyone
Crystal

I would not need to check for dead mice tucked underneath my pillow every night, Nor would I have to worry about live mice being dropped in my lap because I had earlier found it fun to dangler and throw small things in play

I would not have to fit myself into 4 narrow feet of space on a queen sized bed.

I could leave my food unattended for a few minutes and not worry about it being eaten

Every trip up and down the stairs would not be a free-for-all race

Posters would stay taped to the wall.

My cell phone charger would not be decorated with little holes.

Clothing I left on my bed would still be on my bed when I went to retrieve itrather than two rooms away in a pile of plush toys, pushed under dressers, or used to cover litter boxes

I would never be able to always come home to "hugs" and kisses

No one would always run to show and share with me what they consider to be the greatest prize in the world

I wouldn't know that I'm so valued that the time it takes to shower is far to long to be separated from me

Poptart, Have you been to my house for a visit? You've basically described the way we live here!

Hmmm. Three pigs (guinea pigs that is) two dogs, two fish tanks and until just recently two birds. Lots of company! They are like my kids that I always wanted and never had... :) :) :p

Back
Top Bottom