If you love a book, set it free

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Bernard

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
I thought this was a pretty neat idea: http://bookcrossing.com/

The basic idea is you write a note on the inside cover of a book and leave it somewhere for a stranger to find - hopefully to read it and similarly pass it on to another. Those who find the book can use a reference number in the note to leave comments on the site so the book can be tracked and it's journey chronicled.

Interesting idea

I love books and have hundreds of them. They line one entire wall of our living room from the floor, almost to the ceiling. Many of them are from Dad's collection of the Reader's Digest Condensed Books. He had almost all of them going back to 1950. I am only missing 4 or 5 now.

I have many, many others as well. Some dating back into the mid-1800s. I also have an old Bible printed in German that is even older than that. I can't get into reading as well as I used to. It seems that whenever I have time to sit down with a book, I fall asleep before I get through more than a couple of pages. However, it feels good to know that they are all there just waiting for me to read them "some day".

The internet is great, but something about holding a book and losing yourself in it is great.

:twocents:

What a neat idea. When I've been reading inspirational books in public, when someone asks about it, I usually tell them what it's about and then I hand it to them and walk away. I always get the feeling that they need this book more than I do and I can buy another.

I read about bookcrossing about a year ago.
Usually I donate the kids books to their school, and other books to the library.
I will consider doing this this year.

"If you love a book set it free" I bet your wife tells you you are a big dork. But I bet she loves you very much. set it free.lol

Thundercloud

One of our sandwich shops has a bookrack with that idea in mind. Your free to leave one or take one.

I hate to be a party pooper, but I got my husband a "Kindle" from Amazon because we have no bookshelf space left...despite the fact that I give away about 3 books a week. They seem to be having babies!!!

There was this great B&B that my fiance used to stay every Labor Day weekend. Books galore in old book shelves. You'd be allowed to pick one up, leave with it as long as you replaced it with one of your own. Always an equal swap.

Where we stayed, you could "borrow" a book and read it for as long as you were there. A nice homey concept, but potentially, very frustrating!!!

I know the feeling. There's this funky little cafe in town with a large bookcase stacked with all kinds of interesting books. You sip your coffe there and read a given book but not to your heart's content because you can't leave with it. So...I always bring my own!

Or...I just space out and look out at the sound through their bay window! Even better actually.

I can only read to classical music, played real low. And have never managed to have a drink nearby when reading. Must be given my utmost attention. The book or the wine!

Well to be honest, I would read a book OR listen to music...I prefer to do one at a time. I like to read and write in silence. No stereo, radio or tv on during the day.

Back
Top Bottom