The midnight club

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

3am again. Seem to have a thing about this time lol. Fell asleep as soon as head hit pillow at ten, now awake again! Thought i'd nosy at CWE on my phone. Might go read some Terry Pratchett :)

Hi folks- I'm awake cox the brain injury destroyed any normal sleep pattern - like permanent jet lag - I was asleep @ 6pm; which meant I was awake just before 2am - so I'll be asleep again about 10am & awake around 6pm! Thank God Friday is my day off!
Oiche mhaith codladh Samh!
Col.

me again *yawn, stretch* don't know how much longer i can keep going with a lack of sleeping pattern.

Can't sleep cos i'm stressed, and then i get even more stressed cos i'm not sleeping. And round and round we go.

Now look, "LL" my freind - stress is eased by laughter - and you get laughter by hooking up with an eejit like me - so, problem solved (well a bit). I just still haven't figured which jokes I can tell you and which ones will get me kicked off site - (Mods help, please?!!).

Serious face - just drop me a line - if you have a personal e-mail address which you feel comfortable letting me have, I'll send you one of my secure ones - just promise me not to lose it!

And just because I don't get straight back to you doesn't mean I haven't seen your msg - I'll respond asap.

Graw, Col.

i think i finally got to sleep at about 5ish and subsequently have just woken up at about 11. Not enough sleep!

Thanks col, i'll maybe do that.

I can't take it either

I'm exhausted, too. It's almost morning, and I got 2 hours of sleep last night. Usually get around 3-4 hrs on this Lamictal. Anybody on lamictal - does this get better?

Yesterday I drank some coffee so I could make it through thanksgiving. Dumb idea. Because then had a S.P. on the way home and now have a migraine. Lovely. :(
Today is black friday with mega-deals.
Migraine+sleep deprivation = stay home.

I'm like a walking zombie. Lou, how are you managing to work like this?

Endless - i have no idea! I seriously don't know. I know i can't keep it up though. Found myself getting seriously angry with an autistic girl i work with the other day. I had to leave her with another member of staff and exit the house to calm down a bit. Normally i can just put up with her tantrums but the other day i couldn't. I might have to book a week off just so i can get some rest.

Hope the migraine goes soon! Sometimes coffee keeps me awake for a bit, but at other times when i'm as tired as i am today, it just makes me jittery and gives me partials. (Though last time it was a tc)

Last edited:
I assumed that sooner or later my body would just give in and sleep because I thought it couldn't go on like this forever. I said that to my epi and he gave me this look that said "no." So this may be a permanent state as long as I'm on Lamictal, because sleeping pills didn't help.

I've been reading up on the effect sleep deprivation has on our health. We've GOTTA get some sleep.

Sleep deprivation can make wounds heal more slowly, can cause diabetes, harm the immune system, and cause significant weight gain. It can affect moods, cause depression, limit the ability to think, and impair memory. It can produce a manic state in susceptible people.

The article in Wikipedia sites an example where 5-HTP restored normal sleep, but the sample was a guy who had a very specific disease. I already take 5-HTP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_deprivation#Diabetes

Impaired cognitive function = over 2 hours to write this, then rewrite it because it didn't make sense and the spelling and grammer were really bad. Then cut and paste it in and post it. I'm thinking like molassas. Sheesh.

P.S. Everyone thinks I'm functioning but I'm not. I can't understand what people are saying to me, and I feel really jumpy. I'm also wondering if my headache, blurry vision and dizziness are due to the sleep deprivation. Also have you noticed how much I edit my stuff in here? It's because I can't think and I have to do everything over again a hundred times. I'm really frustrated with it. I know it is the lack of sleep.

Last edited:
I used to be on Lamictal, but i never got insomnia issues on it. If anything i was sleeping more because it made seizures/side effects too much to deal with lol.

It sounds like they could be to do with sleep deprivation because i get like that sometimes too. I figure that i'll get to a certain point and then maybe i'll get some sleep, though last time it took the tonic clonic to wipe me out for nearly two days. And i STILL went to work, like an eejit.

12.45am after only a few hours sleep last night.

HOW am i still functioning? Gonna pay a visit to the docs tomorrow (today?) i think. Can't keep going like this. With any luck i'll get a saturday appointment.

Hey Loopy Lou,

I sure hope the doctor has some answers for you. I've only dealt with sporadic insomnia in the past- that was bad enough. I can't imagine how awful it is to have insomnia for as long as you've been dealing with it.

In the mean time, I hope you have a good Terry Pratchett to hand, he's always good for a smile.

Wishing you all the best!

Oh i've got every single one to hand lol. I think i've read them all (again) though, so moving onto something else now.

I'm tempted to go get a hot toddy (Whiskey, hot water, honey and lemon) to help me sleep, but that way lies madness, and alcohol when i'm already on edge is not a good idea.

Been chatting to my brother on the phone pretty much since i posted that last one, feel a little more relaxed now. Helps when you have a family member who is nocturnal, even though he doesn't live here anymore.

Nearly 3am (again?!) so gonna go see if i can get any sleep now. Need to be up early to call the docs for an appointment.

I have a really bad sleep schedule. I can never get to sleep at a decent hour. But I'm so exhausted after dinner (is it my medicine?) that I usually fall asleep in my chair for a little while. I am so tired I cannot function. Then I get a "second wind of energy" and go do something and then I can't go to sleep.

Tonight I fell asleep about 10:30 PM, back up at 2:00am. Tried to sleep in bed but couldn't go back. By morning I'll get another couple hours.

Getting up anytime is also challenging. I seem to get into a deep deep sleep really early AM hours and I'm groggy for at least an hour after dragging myself up.

From early childhood I can remember not really being able to go to sleep well until way way late. Now I've established bad habits and can't seem to change them. I'm much too nervous to lay in bed not sleeping until I drift off again. About 40 minutes is all I can lay there. My thoughts just swirl.

I just do not know how to change all this. Reading a book will make my eyes get heavy and I can go back to sleep sometimes, or putting TV on and shutting my eyes and listening will help, but husb. has decided the tv wakes him up, or the light (even my little book light) so I'm stuck. And here I sit.

sleep

Hi, Elsie,

My sleep is kind of like that, too. I go to sleep around 11pm and wake up around 2 or 2:30am, then catch a half hour or an hour in the early morning, then groggy all day. I have zero problems going to sleep at night, but can't stay asleep. Then it's impossible to fall asleep & nap during the day, no matter how tired I am. Yesterday 2 hrs sleep. Tonight 3 hrs sleep. I can't go on like this. I'm sure for me it's the lamictal. Sleeping pills don't help. What seizure meds are you on?

I'm sorry you have so many sleep problems. When I haven't had any sleep for a while I just feel 'furry headed' (best description I can come up with). I'd be willing to bet some of your problems are from sleep deprevation.

I'm on trileptal 150mg 2x day. Not a lot, but I'm noticing a lot more side effects on this than when I was on the tegretol all those years. I'm way more stupid on this, my spelling is getting worse, I'm very nervous / high-strung (and spend a lot of mental energy trying to keep that under control).

I'm wondering if all this plus my sleeping problems are the result of my medicine or just the cumulative effect of being on this stuff so many years.

I'd considered trying some _______ stuff people take otc to help sleep what's the name - gaaaaaa I hate being like this can never think of names --- but then I heard it's bad for people with seizures.

Tried to edit, didn't do it correctly I guess. Seratonin - is that it? Does anybody know if it's safe for us and works?

I'll look it up for you. I had to give in and go to the docs earlier to get a mild dose of sleeping/anxiety pills. Here's hoping they work, even though it's only a short term thing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom