Morning Everyone

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ColmanMac

New
Reaction score
Well I got home - eventually. In deep, deep darkness I was met with over 5 inches of snow!!
Now 5 inches of the white stuff, isn't really a problem if your'e living in Newcastle - but when your'e a kick in the backside off the Border & the Roman Wall, you expect Santa coming round the bend, on a dry run at any moment!

The tourists think that The Roman Wall was built by Hadrian to keep the Scots out of England, but no. It was built because the Hibernians (Irish to the uninitiated!) had teamed up with the Northumbrians (Border Reivers) & were intent on knocking seven bells out of the Romans!!

At one point the pilot thought he was gonna have to divert to Manchester - MANCHESTER! - No way Pedro! It took 3 stewrdesses, 4 passengers & a rabid security guard to stop me taking the controls!

I could have landed that plane on a sixpence - Well, on the field at the bottom of our lane, at least!

Anyway it's good to be home, 'though I missed the kids going off to school earlier & the dog has taken my wife out somewhere for a walk - so heaven only knows when they'll be back!

In the meantime I'm gonna catch up on a bit of news on site, sift through the trillions of e-mails for me (Does anyone else get as much junk as me, even with blockers in force). Even the techies @ work can't stop 'em completely!

After that, am I going into work? (Is the Pope Protestant?!!); Am I gonna work from home? (Do me a favour!); Am I gonna answer my mobile (It's in the loo somewhere!). NO - The Colli-baby is gonna go Peepy-byes - about 'til Monday should do it - Though I'll always be poppin' in & out of here!

Take Care & be in touch soon!

Col.

Col, you DO

make me seriously laugh.

Glad to hear you made it home safely. Another UK friend of mine is tickled pink that it is snowing there as well......she's head over heels about it. I think it humorous, but then again, I'm used to snow, and she's not. LOL.

Have a great day!

nope

my sister was living in the southern part until July though...now she, her recently retired Army husband and 2 young boys are living in NOLA. (New Orleans, LA)

I'm sure you're going to meet quite a few UK people around here.

Loopy Lou, Elaine, Tempus Fugit, Crazy Monkey......umm, there's more, plenty of Aussies as well, but names are escaping me at the moment.

God You wanna see the snow around our house. The kids have all been sent home early from school & parents called to pick others up. Because we live so far out in the wilds this is getting worse!

Even the dogs won't venture out in this. (Mind you, theyv'e more sense than a lot of folk who think "Of course my car will make it ......!!).

Our dogs are long haired miniature dachschunds and I've just watched them go into one of our gardens and disappear beneath a surface of snow. If it wasn't for their tails sticking up like U-Boat periscopes, we wouldn't know where they were!

Col.

Welcome home -
I must admit it is sunny and a bit nippy here in CA with a high projected at 64º. Says it will be 70º tomorrow, which will be wonderful to be out in. The cool weather is lovely, especially when you have to be next to a hot stove. Though there might be a few in the hot tub today at our family Thanksgiving feast ;D

CA may be in the pits financially, but the weather keeps us loving it.

OK - Youv'e convinced me - I'll be on the next plane out - and never dare a fool, Robin!!

It's snowing here like you wouldn't believe. Schools are all cancelled for tomorrow & 'til further notice. Weather forecast is -5 overnight & if you think I'm getting out of bed after what I've just been through in Frankfurt then you don't know me at all yet!

Being born & bred in the Rebel County, every once in a while the "resistance fighter" in me arises & that moment is nigh!

I don't care how much my boss says she loves me or how hard she punches or throws scissors (another story!).

All together now:
"Sinne Fianna Fail
A te fe gheall ag Errin
buion da slua
Thar toinn do rainig chugainn
Fe mhoid beith saor
Sean tir ar sinsir feasta
Ni fhagfar fen tioran na fen trail ............ On now I'm gettin' carried away!

Slan agus beannacht leat

Luckily we still haven't had snow here, but it's not far off!

Last year we had lovely snow for about a day until the entire town turned to ice. Brrrrr....

Being a seaside town, it normally takes a lot of snow to stick. But then when it does, it all turns to ice and slush pretty quickly.

Wer'e right up in the Tyne Valley where the snow takes a while to blow in, but once it arrives it takes forever to get shot.
Last year our local council completely underestimated the amount of rocksalt needed & it was chaos everywhere. We returned from Germany after the New Year to a village that was in a worse state than the one we left.

Its no wonder Northumberland County Council lost £23m to the Icelandic banks! It sad when the only folk who know how to run this County are either driving taxis or cutting hair!

Col.

Hi Rae - Love your description of Manitoba!

What makes me laugh, getting to N. Germany so much is that this amount of snow is no problem whenever we are at the house in Neidersachsen but, in England, you get a couple of inches of the white stuff & the entire country grinds to a halt!

When I visited Ireland back in December 2001, the heavens let loose with a record snowfall. The natives didn't seem to know how to drive in the snow or plough the roads. (Said the hardy New Englander). The rental car had nothing to scrape the windows. As you say Col, the whole country ground to a halt. Had to change the itinerary a bit in order to make it to Belfast for New Year's Eve...

Hi Nakamova; Ah but Belfast is only Ireland when wer'e singing for a united country or playing in the 6 Nations rugby!

BW; Col.

Our temp dropped the last few days. We have to turn on the heater now.
Very windy yesterday, and the palm fronds are down in the street. A bit hazardous to drive this a.m. when I took Rebecca to work. She had to be there at 5:00 :/
That is even earlier than her figure skateing mornign schedule.

Happy Monday!

Col --

My snowy trip started in Dublin, went west to Lisdoonvarna, up the coast to see the Burren and Galway, and only eventually into the Republic. By the time we got to the Giant's Causeway the snow had melted...

Palm Fronds? Southern California? You got room for a little 'un, Robin?!

Col.

I wish

I had some of that snow. We usually do by now, and all I see is GRASS. URG. Would y'all in the UK send some of the snow back over to me, please? I'm so used to having it at this time of year, I am having SERIOUS WITHDRAWAL............

SNOW is such a four letter word, I don't want to hear in North Carolina. I moved from the northern part of the US to get away from the snow. Headed to Kansas next week for business and I am going to have to purchase a winter coat just for the trip. I would enjoy RobiN's year around weather in Sunny So Cal. My ideal vacation is sunny, warm and sand; no cold, SNOW or ice.

Back
Top Bottom