Movies!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Garbo

Stalwart
Reaction score
Although I didn't do an extremely extensive search, I didn't find a thread devoted to movies. Love 'em, hate 'em, think Interstellar was the greatest movie of the year (I sadly missed it despite my inherent love for Sci-Fi). Let's talk about 'em!

Personal favorites? Movies you're looking forward to? Do you watch the Academy Awards and all of those big award shows?

Last edited:
I usually catch the opening monologue of the award shows. If I have the stamina I try and make it through to the end, but all the best bits and bloopers usually end up online the next day anyway...

I really liked Birdman which is up for a few Oscars.

I used to be quite the film buff back when I had a life :) I literally don't get out much anymore and, though I don't have that much going on, I don't feel like I can take the time to watch movies.

Movies that I would like to see include: Birdman, Boyhood, St. Vincent, Budapest Hotel, Rosewater...Oh yeah, and Interstellar :)

In a way I enjoy awards shows, but then it seems so self indulgent on their part to get all dressed up and pat each other on the back. I watched the opening of the Golden Globes, mainly because I like Tina Fey and Amy Pohler. I don't know if I will watch any of the Oscars; it's kind of pointless considering I haven't seen any of the films, but I might get sucked in despite myself :)

I actually don't watch awards shows either, mainly because I don't have TV, but also for the very same reasons you mentioned. Also, for other reasons, which I won't get into on here.

I did see Budapest, which I really enjoyed, but I haven't seen any of the other films nominated! I would really like to see Selma, although I am really disappointed that it was overlooked for any nominations.

I tend to watch films I can access via the library or I can scout online (like Hulu or Netflix). I recently watched Tammy-- not so great, which made me sad because I love MM's movies-- and The Last Year at Marienbad-- pretentiously amazing!

I'll just throw out a few of my personal faves: Jeanne Dielman (ultimate fave-- for a three and a half hour long French film, I've watched this film way too many times) Young Frankenstein
Passion Fish
The Assassination of Jesse James (I just kinda love long boring movies, apparently)
The Alien Quadrology
Ninotchka
The Awful Truth
Mean Girls

I've seen Jeanne Diehlman. I agree it's oddly fascinating despite its length. I recommend Celine and Julie Go Boating as another long film (also 3 1/2 hours) that doesn't seem long at all. I have to admit, I fell asleep watching Last Year in Marienbad, but in my defense, it was when I was in college taking a class called Film and Dreams...

The Awful Truth is great, right up here with His Girl Friday and The Philadelphia Story. I recommend The Lady Eve as another terrific screwball comedy to check out.

Some films I'm very fond of:
8 1/2
La Grande Bellezza
(those two would make a fine double-feature)

The Stuntman
Out of Sight
Being John Malkovich
Drugstore Cowboy
Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown
The Blue Red and White films by Kieslowski
Out of the Blue
Brazil
The Ice Storm
Three Kings
The Science of Sleep
City of Lost Children
The Squid and The Whale
The Anniversary Party

Nightcrawler was awesome! It was way better than I thought it would be.

Oh yeah I liked nightcrawler a lot. I like Jake G. :)

I've seen Jeanne Diehlman. I agree it's oddly fascinating despite its length. I recommend Celine and Julie Go Boating as another long film (also 3 1/2 hours) that doesn't seem long at all. I have to admit, I fell asleep watching Last Year in Marienbad, but in my defense, it was when I was in college taking a class called Film and Dreams...

The Awful Truth is great, right up here with His Girl Friday and The Philadelphia Story. I recommend The Lady Eve as another terrific screwball comedy to check out.

Some films I'm very fond of:
8 1/2
La Grande Bellezza
(those two would make a fine double-feature)

The Stuntman
Out of Sight
Being John Malkovich
Drugstore Cowboy
Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown
The Blue Red and White films by Kieslowski
Out of the Blue
Brazil
The Ice Storm
Three Kings
The Science of Sleep
City of Lost Children
The Squid and The Whale
The Anniversary Party

I love so many of these! I think I may have my VHS copy of Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown somewhere. :)

I just looked up Nightcrawler-- it sounds interesting. I've heard really positive things about Gone Girl and Foxcatcher as well.

yes, I have a VHS copy of WOTVOANB somewhere too -- my ancient tv has a slot for both DVDs and VHS tapes, though it's mostly DVDs these days.

I just realized that most of my list is sooooo last-century. I'm an old fogey, what can I say... Today I saw the Imitation Game and The Two Faces of January, so I do my best to stay current. I liked the Lego Movie too. :)

I saw Foxcatcher and liked the acting though I though the story was problematic. I read Gone Girl, so I've resisted seeing the movie. Next up is "Inherent Vice".

Lol, no problem! I'm going to be thirty this year, but my sisters are significantly older and my mother had no problem letting me watch whatever I wanted when I was younger. I did see the Alien films when I was twelve and somehow it didn't terrify me for life. I like to have a healthy balance of "high" (?) cinema (I watched Last Year at Marienbad recently) and goofy movies like Anchorman.

I babysat my sister's kids last night so we watched How to Train Your Dragon 2, which was pretty cute. I preferred the first one, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

I love The Lego Movie so much. It's pretty goofy, but also making some solid commentary.

Yes, and I'm fond of Chris Pratt (who wouldn't be? he's such a sweet guy). I still haven't seen Guardians of the Galaxy, but eventually I get around to it. In the meantime, I get to see him on Parks and Rec.

Ok, if anyone needs a silly fun movie to watch, go see The Interview. I laughed my ass off, but I will admit I had a few beers. :p

Yes, and I'm fond of Chris Pratt (who wouldn't be? he's such a sweet guy). I still haven't seen Guardians of the Galaxy, but eventually I get around to it. In the meantime, I get to see him on Parks and Rec.

I am currently re-watching Parks and Rec! I'm also looking forward to Jurassic World because of him and dinos. :)

Thanks for the film recommendation, CathyAnn. :) Sadly, The Interview did not come any where near where I live, but I shall definitely keep a look out for it if it comes near here.

Hey Nak! Next time I'm over the pond we *really* need to go see some movies- at least of half of that short list contained some of my most-favourites :)

Bladerunner's still at the top of mine tho.

If anyone is interested, they have apparently made a film about a woman with epilepsy. It's called Electricity.

And if you like the film check out the novel by Ray Robinson - it's quite harsh to most people without E, but I found it very truthful and down to earth ;)

Hey Nak! Next time I'm over the pond we *really* need to go see some movies- at least of half of that short list contained some of my most-favourites
Slim! We'll definitely plan a movie night. :) I like BladeRunner too. Every now and then they show the director's cut on one of the local big screens.

I dread to think what the 'Untitled Blade Runner Project' is going to turn out like. Apparently the script's done, and shooting is set to commence.

Doubt I'll go see it tho- even if Scott does direct it after all..

:(

Last edited:
Harrison Ford is getting a little old for these action films...

Lol too right. He needs to be careful these days, what with breaking his leg on the set of the new Star Wars.

Mind you that was caused by a bit of the Millennium Falcon falling on him- so maybe it's the spaceships that need to be 'updated' as well as the actors.. :p

Back
Top Bottom