Movies!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Oh, boy! I really haven't been out much recently. It's been about six years since I've actually been to a movie theater. :p All of my favorites are from at least ten years ago, many from the nineties. Now that I have a tablet and decent internet, maybe I can catch up on six plus years of films. :pop:

Anyway, here are some of my favorites. They aren't necessarily films I consider to be the best made. I can appreciate the brilliance of a film, enjoy it as I'm viewing it, but not feel any sort of emotional connection. These are films that I enjoy watching over and over, or that made a real impact on first viewing.

In no particular order:

Truly, Madly, Deeply
Whale Rider
Breaking Away
The Princess Bride
Babe
The Station Agent
Strictly Ballroom
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
The Commitments
Goodbye Lenin
Kontrol
The Secret of Roan Inish ( by Passion Fish director, John Sayles)
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Fargo
Elf
This is Spinal Tap
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
The Hudsucker Proxy
Vincent and Theo

And of course classics such as:

Casablanca
African Queen
Philadelphia Story
Now, Voyager
All About Eve

Okay, maybe not the most original or esoteric list :eek:

Oh, boy! I really haven't been out much recently. It's been about six years since I've actually been to a movie theater. :p All of my favorites are from at least ten years ago, many from the nineties. Now that I have a tablet and decent internet, maybe I can catch up on six plus years of films. :pop:

Anyway, here are some of my favorites. They aren't necessarily films I consider to be the best made. I can appreciate the brilliance of a film, enjoy it as I'm viewing it, but not feel any sort of emotional connection. These are films that I enjoy watching over and over, or that made a real impact on first viewing.

In no particular order:

Truly, Madly, Deeply
Whale Rider
Breaking Away
The Princess Bride
Babe
The Station Agent
Strictly Ballroom
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
The Commitments
Goodbye Lenin
Kontrol
The Secret of Roan Inish ( by Passion Fish director, John Sayles)
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Fargo
Elf
This is Spinal Tap
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
The Hudsucker Proxy
Vincent and Theo

And of course classics such as:

Casablanca
African Queen
Philadelphia Story
Now, Voyager
All About Eve

Okay, maybe not the most original or esoteric list :eek:

This is such a great list! I love John Sayles' films and Spinal Tap especially, as well as several other films you mentioned. I have been meaning to see Goodbye Lenin (I love the score), but just haven't gotten around to it.

I don't know how others feel about the theater going experience, but when I went and saw Into the Woods I found I didn't like it as much. It was crowded and it gave me a headache. Even though my TV is small, I prefer the comfort of my home. To each his/her own, I guess! :)

This sounds... awful.

I'm sick of rebooted movies.

Hopefully it wont be quite as bad as the past decade of bog-standard 'reboots'. The project's been on the go for a long time now.

Still wont go and see it though lol just like I wont go and see Neuromancer or The Sandman if they finally get made.

When something's perfect, why redo it?

Last edited:
This is such a great list! I love John Sayles' films and Spinal Tap especially, as well as several other films you mentioned. I have been meaning to see Goodbye Lenin (I love the score), but just haven't gotten around to it.

I don't know how others feel about the theater going experience, but when I went and saw Into the Woods I found I didn't like it as much. It was crowded and it gave me a headache. Even though my TV is small, I prefer the comfort of my home. To each his/her own, I guess! :)

Isn't John Sayles' attention to detail incredible? When I saw Secret of Roan Inish I knew nothing about him and assumed he was Irish. Then I saw Lone Star and was convicted he must be from Texas. After Sunshine State, I thought he was from Florida. All his films really give you a sense of place.

As for the theater experience, I really enjoy it *if* it's a good crowd. But so often people can be oblivious. It was bad enough before cell phones, but now - or at least the last time I was in a theater - everyone was talking and/or texting, apparently thinking no one could hear. I imagine that now that most people have smart phones it's even worse. :p

Ditto on John Sayles. I like his first film -- "Return of the Secaucus Seven" as well as "Lone Star" very much.

I love seeing movies on the big screen. My main complaint with the big theaters is that the sound can be way too loud during the ads/previews section. I tend to go to the early show if possible (cheaper, fewer people), and I like to sit near the front so there's less of chance that people will sit in front of me.

Back
Top Bottom