Neurologist misdiagnosed me?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Ruth

New
Reaction score
I am furious.

Last July, I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's by my Neurologist. He did extensive testing.

In March, I had a really bad seizure and was rushed to the ER. The next week I had all of the signs of a stroke, back to the ER. Only this time, I was put in ICU.

My doctor decided to do an MRI. It was the longest MRI that I have ever had. He also reduced my epilepsy medicine. I was sleeping a lot, staggering and falling down.

He told me that he was going to send the results of the MRI to my Neurologist to give me the results.

At the beginning of May, I got the results of the MRI. He did not tell me, he just handed me the results. He was probably hoping that I would not read it.
I read it!! I have mild cognitive impairment of the brain, along with my epilepsy.

Mild cognitive impairment is a far cry from Alzheimer's Disease.

Did he misdiagnose me or did he lie to me? What do you think? Have you had problems with your Neurologist, like this, I hope not.

Ruth, perhaps

this link will help you understand the confusion for even the neurologist. I think that on his part, it was an honest mistake.... Granted, it seems that he may not have done quite enough research, or perhaps just confused as this article discusses....

I do understand your anger though, and would feel the same way. :paperbag:

MCI & Alzheimer's confusion

Hi Ruth,

I think your neurologist made a mistake. Lots of folks, including myself, have mild cognitive impairment, but don't have Alzheimer's. Part of it is from meds and part of it is from having seizures over and over through the years. I remember telling my epileptologist once that I felt like I was an Alzheimer patient because I was having a bad time with my cognitive functions, but she assured me that it was just the epilepsy and meds doing it too me, but mostly the meds at the time.

I still have memory issues to this day and will forever have them along with aphasia.

Unfortunately, there is no single clinical test that can be used to identify Alzheimer’s. The only way to truly confirm a diagnosis is post-mortem, via autopsy of the brain tissue. Especially in the early stages, the symptoms of Alzheimer's can be virtually indistinguishable from symptoms related to stroke, or even side effects from medications. So when your neurologist diagnosed you with Alzheimers he may have done so in good faith.

Thank you Everyone,

Thank you for the article, Meetz. It was informative and I learned about MCI.

My doctor kept testing me with a MRI to look for plaques in my brain. Plaques show up in the tests that they do now a days. It is an accurate test. Plaques or tau tangles in the brain means Alzheimer's.

There is also a blood test. I do not know much about that test.

They no longer have to wait for an autopsy to diagnose Alzheimer's.

I have done a lot of research on AD and I have learned a lot. I learned more today.

My Neurologist did not like the changes in my medication. I am doing better with less medication. He is trying to put me back on too much medication.

That is not a mistake!! I do not believe that he misdiagnosed me. It is possible, though. But what about his not accepting the changes in my medications?

He can't (and shouldn't) make you take medication you don't want or need. Has he been clear about why he thinks it's a good idea? Does he listen to you when you explain to him why it isn't a good idea? If he's not respecting your input, then he might not be the right neurologist for you.

i met a young lass yesterday who has a massive problem she suffers from anything up to 25 siezures a week but no body knows what her problem is shes been told its not epilepsy or diabetes related but no onnes told her what it is related to any ideas anyone as im sure her nurologist obviously has a blank spot that he needs to think about and a small tweak of an idea in the right direction may help him

Hi Nakamova,

I do not need the extra medications that he had me on. I have talked to him and he does not listen to me. I showed him the medications that I am on now, after my hospital stay.

I visited him about a week ago and he gave me a printout of my visit with him. I read it a day after I got home. His printout said that I have MCI and not Alzheimer's. He also added on more medications, for my epilepsy, than what we had discussed and that he agreed to.

I see my regular doctor today and I am going to show him the printout. I am sure that he will try to get me another neurologist.

Hi lureswinger,

It is possible that she has NEAD (non-epileptic attack disorder.) The attack's are seizures but not epilepsy or diabetes related. Sometimes a medicine will help.

Has she had a MRI? It could also be a tumor in the brain. I would get specfic tests for a diagnoses. She really needs more tests. It might not be a tumor, I do not want to scare you.

I see my regular doctor today and I am going to show him the printout. I am sure that he will try to get me another neurologist.
I think that's a good idea. Let us know how things go today.

Ruth, I had to read your post twice. soooo you don't have alzheimer, I am happy for you.

I too have cognitive problems like Clint said.

I wish you the best.

Thank you, jyearta, for wishing me the best. I am glad that I do not have Alzheimer's. Since last July, I believed that I had it.

Cognitive problems are a far cry from Alzheimer's. We may never develop Alzheimer's.

Back
Top Bottom