(News) Colorado shooting victim’s brain condition helped her survive

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cint

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
One good outcome of a brain condition:

A 22-year-old violinist who was shot in the arm and head during last week's theater shooting in Aurora, Colo., is expected make a full recovery, doctors say, in part because of a brain condition she didn't know she had.

Petra Anderson sustained multiple gunshot wounds, including a bullet that entered her brain through her nose. But miraculously the bullet "traveled through Petra's brain without hitting any significant brain areas," Brad Strait, a senior pastor at Cherry Creek Presbyterian Church in Englewood, Colo.—Anderson's church—wrote in a blog post after spending a day with her in the ICU:

The doctor explains that Petra's brain has had from birth a small "defect" in it. It is a tiny channel of fluid running through her skull, like a tiny vein through marble, or a small hole in an oak board, winding from front to rear. Only a CAT scan would catch it, and Petra would have never noticed it.
But in Petra's case, the shotgun buck shot, maybe even the size used for deer hunting, enters her brain from the exact point of this defect. Like a marble through a small tube, the defect channels the bullet from Petra's nose through her brain. It turns slightly several times, and comes to rest at the rear of her brain. And in the process, the bullet misses all the vital areas of the brain. In many ways, it almost misses the brain itself. Like a giant BB though a straw created in Petra's brain before she was born, it follows the route of the defect. It is channeled in the least harmful way. A millimeter in any direction and the channel is missed. The brain is destroyed. Evil wins a round.

Anderson has been removed from the ICU, Strait said on Wednesday, and her condition continues to improve.

How incredibly lucky. I'm so happy for her. A brain defect that doesn't cause symptoms, yet saves her life. That is so wonderful.

What an awesome story! Never was I happy for anyone having a brain defect until now. :)

Thats an amazing story. I feel so awful for the victims of this terriable time. Being in the state next to them, it really has made me see how precious life really is.

Wow! Think it’s more than a coincidence….? :ponder:

Back
Top Bottom