Nothing Special

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

3tomaras

New
Reaction score
Just wanted to pop in with some really neat stuff (at least to me!!!) The monarch butterfly population now is like the passenger pigeon was in the early 20th century. I really enjoy nature and have bought some milkweed, asters, tuberose, butterfly bush...trying to "save" this magnificent creature.

Have a great week end, y'all

I feel that way about hummingbirds! (ya think?) They've retuned to the valley and are staking their territories.

Besides some sugar water for the r'throats here in OK, I've decided to go al-natural with some penstemon too. Plants that LOVE hot dry weather, grow to 2 1/2-3 feet tall, and have tubular flowers with lots of the sugary stuff.

The passenger pieon is extinct now after there had billions in the early 20th century. The last one died circa 1920. It looks like the monarch is headed down the same path. Our grandkids will never have the chance to see this wonderful creature??? Heaven forbid.

I see Monarch butterflies in my back yard all the time. I've got a veritable suburban jungle growing back there with lots of different flowering plants.

Bernard,

Just trying to prevent their demise. The monarch's winter campout, Mexico, (east of the Rockies) is in danger of being illegally poached, made smaller and back in the early 2000's a terrible freeze did away with gobs of them down in Mexico...long story. Anyway, just trying to help them here east of the Rockies. Just like us with Ep, they need action taken on their behalf.

;-)(-;

Dawn

I guess I didn't put PLAY on my response yesterday.. I just don't see it.

The first grade classes here in SoCA have a butterfly project. They let loose Monarchs every year. They are training these little people to care for them.

I have a butterfly garden in my backyard too. I will attempt to take some pictures when the flowers are at their best.

Wasn't trying to start WWIII! Sounds like this is a California site and I'm an Okie (Honest) so I need to head out-split? IAW Grapes of Wrath...where Oklahomans headed out to California during Great Depression..how term Okie got coined.

Just wanted to make people aware.
:?

Dawn

I guess I didn't put PLAY on my response yesterday.. I just don't see it. ...

Wasn't trying to start WWIII! Sounds like this is a California site and I'm an Okie (Honest) so I need to head out-split?...

I think 3tomaras misunderstood your comment Robin. 3tomaras, Robin was saying that she had responded/replied to this thread yesterday and her response is not showing now. She was not making a comment on the butterflies with the "I don't see it" statement.

Flutterbyes

General Butterfly populations are on the rebound in our area. We are seeing more each year, though just guessing the Monarch is not as prolific as it was when I was a kid.

3T - am I right?? I thought I read that the monarch migration was actually multiple generations versus single butterflies making the entire circuit. If that is true, maybe we can help here in the states. Don't think there is much we can do about the Mexico impact.

Best of luck to you 3T

Locally, our big success has been to bring two sets of nesting Bald Eagles to a local lake. They are doing great and have raised almost 20 eaglets over the past years.

Last edited:
I think 3tomaras misunderstood your comment Robin. 3tomaras, Robin was saying that she had responded/replied to this thread yesterday and her response is not showing now. She was not making a comment on the butterflies with the "I don't see it" statement.

Bernard you are a wise man... I had no clue that was misunderstood ... and I misspelled PUSH. How did a techie get so be so intuitive?

Sorry 3tomaras, I hope this was cleared up for you.

Locally, our big success has been to bring two sets of nesting Bald Eagles to a local lake. They are doing great and have raised almost 20 eaglets over the past years.

That is really great news! I really have little time for the nature channels these days, and that really made me say, " Awwwwwww". Thanks BuckeyeFan

Hi 3tomaras! Just went from apartment living to having a backyard. The first day we moved in, I saw 3 monarch butterflies, a hawk soaring in the breeze, as well as two sparrows building a nest. It was beautiful. Plus now we actually have flowers in the backyard... :)

Back
Top Bottom