Saw the Neurologist, Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome (Maybe)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Well, I finally saw the Neurologist today and he asked me what was going on and I told him about the vibrations in my foot and sometimes the tingling and numbness and said it'd been going on for about 2 months now.

He tested my reflexes and said that I could have nerve damage but also something called Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome which is like Carpal Tunnel Syndrome only it's in my foot, which is technical for a compressed nerve and it can cause the vibrations in my foot as well as tingling and numbness.

Then he took a safety pin and ran it along the top of my foot and until he did that, I had no idea I actually had that much numbness. I COULD NOT feel the sharpness of the pin until he got halfway up my leg. He ran it along the top of my foot starting at the base of my toes, about half way up my shin and only then I felt the sharpness of it. I felt nothing from the toes up to my shin. Funny thing is, I had no idea until he did that.

He wants to do a test and he himself will perform it and if I heard right, he wants to stick a needle in my nerve (Ouch). I'm not sure if I heard that right though but also, he's going to take electrodes and put it on my foot or whatever and it'll tell him definitely if it's Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome.

He said the treatments for it is medication and surgery. I go back to see him three weeks from today for the test, then I will know. He ALSO said that there's a slim possibility that it could be related to the seizure I'd had 2 years ago and if so, he'd have to adjust my medications but he seemed to think it was more likely nerve damage or Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome.

Anyway, it is definitely something going on and he seems suret that it's most likely Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome. He prescribed me some meds to take at night to help relax the nerves so it wouldn't keep me awake at night called Nortripyline. I start with one capsule at bedtime for the first week, then take two from then on. Will let you know what happens. That's the verdict so far.

have carple tunnel syndrome...my friend has what you have but think you should ait see what test shows

It's great that he may be able to help you. Make sure to ask a lot of questions about any potential side effects from the medication and the surgery.

Back
Top Bottom