Sing,Sing,Sing

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Sandie

New
Reaction score
Hi friends, I know a lot of you sing, play guitar, or have a gift of some sort. If you ever want to make yourself feel good and know that there are people worse off go and entertain at an aged care facility for a couple of hours. My husband and I do this at least once a month on a Sunday. He sings and plays guitar and I sing.(MY guitar playing is for my ears only). It really does make you feel good and the appreciation of these people is worth more than any amount of money. Some of these people never get visitors and they certainly don't get any chance to see any live entertainment other than what is offered to them at the home. It really opens your eyes and is a very humbling experience. It really makes them feel special. I am on a bit of a soapbox because so many more people need to be actively involved with our elderly. What is 3 or 4 hours once a month when it gives so much pleasure to a few deserving elderly people. I know it is the one time that my issues seem much less important. Have a great day all.:soap:

i have spent several trips to the hospital ics, or psych wards or just the fun block, for what ever reasons,

and it always reminds, my issues really arent that bad, and it could always be different.

It certainly does bring home reality. There really is truth to the old cliche 'there is always someone worse off than yourself'

No, that is quite true COurt, unfortunately the people we entertain really don't have anything going for them. The youngest is 80yrs old and most of them cannot even feed themselves. The majority don't have any family come and visit them so I think that is quite disgusting. They are just shoved in a home and forgotten about. I watch them deteriorate and my heart goes out to them because they are dying without anyone to love them. They all have their own story if someone would take time to listen. They really enjoy the music and we really enjoy providing it. Take care my friend.

When I was in the college choir, we always went to nursing homes and children's hospitals to perform a short concert for the patients there. It always put a smile on my face whenever I saw them tapping their toes!

About two years ago, when my grandma was sent to a home, I used to go in during their recreation time and perform some Johnny Cash. Whenever I did this, I wore all black, and slicked my hair back. I would walk out and always say "Hello, I'm Johnny Cash." They ALWAYS got a kick out of it! After every performance, this one man would come up to me and tell me the same story about how he met Johnny, and how he went to many of his performances.

They all loved the older country/folk/jazz music as well, so my grandma would get on the ridiculously out of tune piano, while I played my acoustic guitar. Being a musician, that piano killed me, but it didn't matter to them. It was THEIR time to enjoy the little things, and I was so glad to be able to give them that joy. Even if it was only for 20 minutes.

sky fire, when the docs took my rtl out it took all my everything out. Now I need a new life. I played first chair for 12 year. That's the Violin. I competed in voice. Ranked really High. But my voice is gone because of cyberonic. You know the magnets. I want to get to play another instrument again. I want that rush back. Good luck. Being a musician, I know what you are saying.I love jazz,motown.

Back
Top Bottom