Some 'old timer' notes...who can relate to these ?...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

TeeTees

New
Reaction score
Some of you will remember this, and some are too young. These things are TRUE.

"Hey Dad," my kid asked the other day, "What was your favorite fast food when you were growing up? " "We didn't have fast food when I was growing up," I informed her. "All the food was slow."

"C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat ?"

"It was a place called 'at home,'" I explained. "Grandma cooked every day and when Grandpa got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate I was allowed to sit there until I did like it."

By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid she was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell her the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table. But here are some other things I would have told her about my childhood if I figured her system could have handled it:

Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore Levis, set foot on a golf course, traveled out of the country or had a credit card. In their later years they had something called a revolving charge card. The card was good only at Sears Roebuck. Or maybe it was Sears AND Roebuck. Either way, there is no Roebuck anymore. Maybe he died.

My parents never drove me to soccer practice. This was mostly because we never had heard of soccer. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow). We didn't have a television in our house until I was 11, but my grandparents had one before that. It was, of course, black and white, but they bought a piece of colored plastic to cover the screen. The top third was blue, like the sky, and the bottom third was green, like grass. The middle third was red. It was perfect for programs that had scenes of fire trucks riding across someone's lawn on a sunny day. Some people had a lens taped to the front of the TV to make the picture look larger.
I was 13 before I tasted my first pizza, it was called "pizza pie." When I bit into it, I burned the roof of my mouth and the cheese slid off, swung down, plastered itself against my chin and burned that, too. It's still the best pizza I ever had.

We didn't have a car until I was 15. Before that, the only car in our family was my grandfather's Ford. He called it a "machine."

I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone in the house was in the living room and it was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home. But milk was.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers. I delivered a newspaper, six days a week. It cost 7 cents a paper, of which I got to keep 2 cents. I had to get up at 4 AM every morning.. On Saturday, I had to collect the 42 cents from my customers. My favorite customers were the ones who gave me 50 cents and told me to keep the change. My least favorite customers were the ones who seemed to never be home on collection day.

Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies. Touching someone else's tongue with yours was called French kissing and they didn't do that in movies. I don't know what they did in French movies. French movies were dirty and we weren't allowed to see them.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren.. Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.

Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?

How True!

:roflmao:

Oh my!!! I could be telling over half those things without any exageration. My Grandma always called cars 'Machines'. Our pizza was Chef-Boy-R-Dee brand from a box. We knew what soccer was, but my parents opinion was if I could run 5 miles in Cross Country practice, I could surely walk the 1.5 miles home.

These were great!

:roflmao:

I remember much of that too.
No fast food ever. Walked three miles barefoot out of choice to swim practice.
No TV until my brother built one. Dad was given a car every two years from work.
One telephone, connected by a long cord. My brother was the newspaper boy.
Had to wear dresses to Elem School until the girls revolted. Gas was around 36¢ / gal
Milk was delivered, and the milk man would sit at the kit table talking politics with my mom.
There were ice cube trays but no auto ice makers.
We ate out a couple times a year, mostly at the same restaurant... Henry's.
Girls were not allowed on the school swim team or to take auto mechanics class.
Gardeners were a rare sight.
Girls did not call boys on the phone.
We repaired things, we did not throw them out. We did not need recycling bins because we rarely threw things away.
LP Records were our ipods of the day

Fun to remember

Back in the day

Milk was deliverd in glass blottles and set on the steps and kept cold by ice. On hot days the milkman would bring out the ice pick let Us chip off a chunk and feel trusting enough that knowone would get hurt in the prossess.

I told myself the first time that the price of gas hit a dollar I would sell my car and take the bus, I did summer 1980.

Someone told me to go fly a kite I did and used it to propose to Pam With a tail that said Pam will you marry me love Jerry 20 yrs. come this September Made it as the cover story, on the front page of the Milwauee Journal.

Someone told me to go fly a kite I did and used it to propose to Pam With a tail that said Pam will you marry me love Jerry 20 yrs. come this September Made it as the cover story, on the front page of the Milwauee Journal.

Congratulations Jerry!
My Jerry proposed 25 yrs ago this August. We didn't make a cover story though. I guess there is still a chance. :roflmao:

Extending hand and expecting a tip ....

Ummm ...

It was easier to DIAL the phone
with a pencil (with the eraser end)
or the dialing stick ... and of course
the ROTARY PHONE - I still use in
spite that I have Digital Phones.

I know what a Party Line is...
:noevil: :pfft: :paperbag:

If you're on a Party Line, you could
dial your neighbor by a 3 or 4 digit
without having to dial the whole