Stacy's Diet?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

jonzen

New
Reaction score
I hope I am writing in the correct area. I am curious to learn more about Stacy's low sugar/low carb diet. I am taking the same amount of Dilantin as she, 300 mg daily. I am vegan, and try to practice good restraint in eating sugars. I try to avoid wheat when possible. I do not drink alcohol or smoke. Much of the time I can live without what I can petit mal seizures, but then I am likely to have one when confronted with any number of stimuli.

But I digress. I am most interested in learning more about a diet that seems to help control seizure activity.

Thank you for your words,

Jonzen

No problem. Basically, she limits all forms of simple carbs (white flour, white rice, refined sugars, etc.) to about 10g a day (we don't measure it out - she just tries to limit it). We eat complex carbs where possible - sprouted whole grain breads, brown rice, Stevia, etc.

It's similar in concept to the Atkins and Ketogenic diets (limit carbs) but she does not have a bunch of specific rules about eating fats, calories, etc.

BTW, I'm vegetarian (mostly vegan, but I do eat some eggs and butter/sour cream once in a while) and have been for 20+ years, but it doesn't give Stacy enough protein, so she does eat chicken, fish, turkey, ham, etc. (almost never red meat though). She tried out a veg diet once upon a time, but her doctor was monitoring her condition with periodic tests and she just wasn't getting enough protein (or soy protien wasn't meeting her needs).

Back
Top Bottom