Swimming pool

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Bernard

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
We set up a ~3' deep above ground swimming pool over the weekend. The family got to play in it yesterday for the first time.

I was in the pool with our youngest boy (2 & 1/2) who is not tall enough to stand up in the pool by himself (or swim) and our other son (6 yo) who can stand/swim in the pool.

I had our oldest boy hold our youngest for a little bit to make sure that he could do it safely if the need should ever arise. When Stacy came outside to join us, I was talking to our oldest about the need for him to hold our youngest so that I could help Stacy if she should have a seizure while in the pool.

Stacy got very upset at the time and went back in the house. She later calmed down and apologized for overreacting.

I was wondering what precautions you take with regards to swimming pools and the possibilities of having a seizure therein.

The lad I care for always has someone with him in the pool.

At the school pool one of his parents goes in with him and I stand on the side ready to help. This system has been tried and tested :? And i have got wet :roll:

:wave: i havnt personally been swimming since i was a child, to be honest i think ive forgotten how to swim lol
take care from kitty

Perhaps you should give it a go. It's something you can definately do - just not on your own. But who wants to go swimming on their own anyway. It's much for fun to go with someone :dancing:

I'm not sure :roll: as im quite a big girl, and i wouldnt want people to make fun of me. and i have this cleaning issue? u dnt know who goes in these swimming pools now a days :roll:
maybe i might one day!!
take care for now from kitty

The pools are cleaner than the sea :shock:

I'm a big girl too so I know how you feel. Although have just started Weightwatchers. My sisters getting married in Sept so have a few weeks to lose a little. :D

Wow! I never even thought about what would happen to me if I were in a pool. I ride my bike to the gym most mornings and swim for an hour before it gets too hot out and I'm ALWAYS alone. I guess I could just tell one of the trainers there that I have epilepsy and ask if they would just ckeck on me every now and then. And, God forbid if anything does happen, please for the love of my teeth, don't go sticking foreign objects in my mouth b/c I'M NOT GOING TO SWALLOW MY TONGUE. :lol:

It is that time of year again, so I thought I would bump this up.:bump:

Back
Top Bottom