Things to be thankful for this year on Thanksgiving Day.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Tilei

New
Reaction score
You know this year hasn't been the easiest for me. Learning the diagnosis of epilepsy, learning to cope, adverse reactions to drugs, bad neuros, career losses...I could fill a lot of screen pages with my bad attitude(s), anger, and malice.

But...Thursday is a day to be grateful here in the US. So....here's my list:

My nephew came home from Fallujah, Iraq alive.

I live in a country where I can be liberal, conservative, progressive or nothing at all or some variation of each.

I can pretty much speak my mind, practice my religion, hold a job (may not be the perfect job in my new E world, but it is a job.)

I found a good neuro and a natural E treatment that seems to be working.

Most of my family has passed away and I generally spend Thanksgiving alone. This year I invited all my friends to dinner, at my home, for my cooking. And guess what...they all said yes. So I'll have 10 people gathered round my Thanksgiving table. I guess that's one of the best things to be grateful for.

My nephew will be far away, but he will be safe.

So despite all the horrible events of the past year, there is some good too. Melancholy will have to take hike. Perhaps I'll think of more as Turkey Day arrives, but feel free to add your own thoughts too.

Things that I am thankful for:

My son just moved back to the area from CT and it will be wonderful to have him be a part of every day life again.

I've gone almost 22 months without any seizure trouble.

My committment to a natural method for seizure control turned out to be the right decision to make (can't often say that!).

I have my husband who is my soul mate.

Our life is so wonderful that it would be impossible to list all of the different things that I am grateful for!!

Great thread Tilei, thanks for starting it. And though I'm a bit late for Thanksgiving, it's still a great idea to take stock of the things I should be greatful for. And with Stacy's latest troubles, I have had some opportunity to reflect on the things that really matter to me:
  • Stacy is alive. She has survived her latest and worst ordeal to date.
  • My boys are healthy and so far, no evidence of seizure activity.
  • I have extended family nearby to help out and be a part of our lives.
  • I have good friends and neighbors
  • I live in the internet age where instant, worldwide communications and remote offices are a reality.
  • I have the freedom to pursue my dreams and aspirations

OMG Bernard! I just finished reading SLT and was astounded! What a horrible time for everyone. Do you kown what caused the set back? The change in meds? You know most of these meds have warnings that then can increase sz. Boy if that is what happened to Stacy, you better keep this on med out of her reach!

I hope she remains stable and you hang in there as well. It must be so hard for family members to go through these things. Be good to yourself!

Birdbomb said:
Do you kown what caused the set back?

I suspect it was a combination of the change in meds (more the lack of Dilantin than the addition of Topamax, but who knows for sure?), lack of sleep and/or interruption to the sleep routine, and also her period (she was at the end of it).

Birdbomb said:
I hope she remains stable and you hang in there as well. It must be so hard for family members to go through these things. Be good to yourself!

Thanks. It was definitely hard on me and the family.

Bernard & Stacy,

My oh my what a time you've been having. I hope things return to normal soon.

Back
Top Bottom