Upcoming Sports Day

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Lovespurple

Pillar
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I hope that all of you are doing great right now. Big :hugs: to everyone who may be needing it this minute right now. :)

My school's Sports Day is coming up and I have signed up for 100m and 200m (a workout for me!). I think I can do exercise TWICE A MONTH on average. I know that's not enough, but you're really stuck when you get 4 pieces of homework to do on the weekend that is due Monday/Tuesday and it takes 3 hours for you to do a piece of homework that would have taken someone else 30 minutes maximum.

My point is that I would really appreciate it if even one person could give me some tips and advice on any of the following:
1: How to train for the Big (Sports) Day
2: How to fit my Sports Day training with my School Life (I have no Social Life...yet!) (considering that I always need to do 3 pieces of homework during the weekend that are all due Monday)
3: Examples of beginner training exercises (inside or outside)

Last Saturday, I played 2 boxing matches on my Nintendo Wii (Game Console) and 2 training sessions (Punching The Bag). The next day, my whole body started to ache and all of it didn't go away until Wednesday. That taught me the lesson that I have to do more exercise (after-dinner walks/morning jogging for 10 minutes/(UK) small football match with brother/etc). :banana:

It can help to ease in slowly to any new exercise routine, and to mix it up if you get bored. Don't forget to warm up and warm down, and make sure to hydrate if you're running around outside in warm weather.

Like Nakamova said definitely try to include a warm up and warm down whenever you take part in exercise. This can include a jog followed by some stretching.

Being as you are doing 100m and 200m, you should try to do at least one proper session geared towards improving your speed. Sessions such as a pyramid of 40m, 60m, 80m, 100m, 150m, 100m, 80m, 60m, 40m with a walk back recovery is just one example of a session you could do that will improve your speed ability over time. Running drills are very good too. There are plenty of brilliant videos of sprinters drills on youtube if you are interested in learning some and applying them to your training :).

The best way to improve in a sport is to train using the muscles you would use, and the technique you will be using when it comes to competition, so although it's great that you are keeping fit playing your Nintendo Wii, and on the punch bag, it won't ultimately lead to you improving in your sprinting as it is not running specific if you know what I mean?

The most important thing though, is that you enjoy what you are doing, so don't get all hung up if you can't train as much as you would like :).

How long is it until your sports day?

:)

Those were two of my specialties when I was on the track team in high school, so I know how it feels trying to train, and still have to do homework. A big pain sometimes!

Anywho, even when you're doing homework, you can give yourself a five minute break to rest your eyes and brain and just do some simple leg stretches. While standing up straight, lean down (like you're trying to touch your toes) so you can stretch those hammies. Those will keep you loose for the most part. You can do the same thing while sitting down too! Just put one leg out, lean forward, grab your toes, and bend the foot back a little.... You can stretch your calves AND hammies while doing that.

On your training days, do the same leg stretches, and take a 10-15 minute jog to get you "pumped up". If you're feeling saucy, jog up and down the stairs, although your legs might hate you at the end of the day, lol. During rest time, I liked to shake my legs and arms one at a time a few times just to keep the blood flowing. Then do some 100M and 200M sprints. As Robyn said, pyramids are a great way to train too! Not the most enjoyable thing, but it's well worth it. Warm down with a SLOW two lap jog followed by some stretches. Most importantly though is to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!!!!!

With sprinting, a lot of it is mental. I liked to picture myself as the roadrunner or Speedy Gonzalez.... That always relaxed me right before the race. Just keep your eye on the prize and you'll do fine! But like Nicholas said, don't stress too much about it. Just go out there and HAVE FUN!

Back
Top Bottom