Very hungry in afternoons

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hello,

Do any of you get very hungry in a particular time of day? I get very hungry in the afternoons, especially on my days off. I eat lunch and I keep eating and eating, and I can't get full in the afternoons. I ate a good sized lunch today and I am STILL hungry, which happens on my days off. What can that be? I'll tell you what it's not, it's not being pregnant, I know that for sure.

I get this way ever since I started exercising regularly since I am metabolizing my food faster. I have increased the protein in my meals and snacks. Particularly breakfast. A bowl of cereal just does not sustain me. I snack on nuts, peanut butter, and cottage cheese. Most of the protein bars and shakes taste nasty, in my opinion, but if you find a variety you like, that would be a great option.

Boredom?
If you are truly involved in something that you are passionately and mentally connected to, does it still happen?

Could be the medication you're on ?

I've had anti-depressants in the past, and my appetite soared ! <eeek>

Boredom?
If you are truly involved in something that you are passionately and mentally connected to, does it still happen?

I guess it could be that because I don't get as hungry at work. I get hungry but not nearly as hungry.

I get this way ever since I started exercising regularly since I am metabolizing my food faster. I have increased the protein in my meals and snacks. Particularly breakfast. A bowl of cereal just does not sustain me. I snack on nuts, peanut butter, and cottage cheese. Most of the protein bars and shakes taste nasty, in my opinion, but if you find a variety you like, that would be a great option.

I wish I could say exercise and high metabolism would probably be what is causing it, but I don't exercise like I should and my metabolism is not high. I'd say it's between fast and slow, more on the slow side.

Could be the medication you're on ?

I've had anti-depressants in the past, and my appetite soared ! <eeek>

I've always been this way, especially when I used to exercise. Like I just said, I don't exercise now like I should. When I was like this before, I was getting very hungry no matter where and what I was doing. I was on different medications then as well, so it's probably not the medication either.

Either way, if you try eating more sustaining foods, it would curb your hunger.

Boredom is a good suggestion too. In that case maybe some light foods like popcorn will satisfy your need to munch on something!

Boredom?
I agree with Robin.

I used to eat more when i was bored then if I was keeping myself busy.

When I do my voluntary work I usualy have an early breakfast so while I'm doing my voluntary work I start feeling hungry around 11:00am. I usualy ignore my tummy rumbling & try to get an early lunch.

Having tried many different eating patterns over the years, I still have one consistent time I "need" to eat. That is the worst time. In the evening, while relaxing.

It doesn't matter how my meals go, I still get that hungry feeling later in the evening. I think it is all in my head and triggered by slowing down and relaxing because if I am busy, I am fine.

I believe many things in our bodies react to triggers, not just the epilepsy.

How about snacking on carrot sticks, celery, and lightly steamed veggies. Rotate them so you have a variety of nutrients.

I get hungry one hour before its time to make my meds, which basically means I finish eating a big meal 20-30 minutes before I need food/drink.

I suspect this means my medicine is making me not want to eat, but I don't see it enough of an issue to be concerned about being as I do eat

Eat smaller portions and spread it out

I actually eat, believe it or not, 4-6 times
a day - BUT .... I cannot eat a large meal
in one sitting, I eat small portions through-
out the day and evening. So it's all spaced
out. If I overeat or eat a large meal, I notice
it pushes me into a "E" mode, something it
never did before several years ago - so I
had to back off from eating large meals in
one sitting, and cut back into small portions
and spread it out. I am not sure why, but
I did mention this to my Doctors but I have
not received any response however, but
they have told me there were no problems
at all with eating small portions spread out.

Back
Top Bottom