What do you think?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

POSITIVEPERSON

Playing With Angels
Reaction score
What do you think abou tthe brian dead being stimulated and brought back to life?

Riva

What, like Frankenstein? :eek:

No, they have been doing this and the fda is getting ready to ok it too,from what they said on the news. They used depth electordes and stimulated the brain.

Riva

So we are talking about dead brain, live body then?

I don't have any experience or knowledge in that area, so I really don't have a strong opinion. On the surface, it seems like a bad idea though.

Got a link to a news article or study on this?

I was corrected in the EFA board.
I heard it was to help people who have suffered from a brain injury....they are not dead.....here is the link to the story....

Doctor's Awaken Man 6 Years After Brain Injury

Sorry for the misunderstanding

Riva

Just imagine what they are learning from this.......

From the article Birdbomb found:
Before the electrodes were implanted the man was in what doctors call a "minimally conscious state." That means he showed only occasional awareness of himself and the environment. In a coma or vegetative state, by contrast, patients show no outward signs of awareness.

He was never in a coma - but he might as well have been.

The man described in the Nature study speaks in a breathy but audible voice, said Dr. Joseph Giacino, a co-lead author. He does not initiate conversations but can reply to others, typically with one to three words, said Giacino, of the JFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute in Edison, N.J.

Several weeks ago he recited the first half of the Pledge of Allegiance without assistance, Giacino said.

The man also recovered some movement. He can demonstrate motions such as brushing his teeth, said study lead author Dr. Nicholas Schiff of Weill Cornell Medical College in New York. He can't actually carry out that task because the tendons in his arms contracted after years of immobility.

"He is still totally dependent and severely disabled," Schiff said.

But the treatment has helped him, the man's mother said in a statement. "Now, my son can eat, express himself and let us know if he is in pain. He enjoys a qualify of life we never thought possible," she said.

6 years in a "minimally conscious state" with muscles all atrophied only to be awakened to enough consciousness to realize you are a prisoner in your own bed? Uh, no thanks.

Back
Top Bottom