What Sporting Teams Do You All Support?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Pingu

Stalwart
Reaction score
Well, We all have one big thing in common, I am really curious to see what sets us apart or brings us closer when it comes to sports. I know not everyone is into sports but for those who are, Who do you all support?

Me, as someone who is a big sports lover has multiple teams across different countries.

Rugby League

NRL: Sydney Roosters...and their NSW Cup Affiliate, the Wyong Roos
English Super League: Catalans Dragons

Australian Rules Football
West Coast Eagles

NFL
Pittsburgh Steelers

Ice Hockey
NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins
AHL: Wilkes-Barre Scranton Penguins
ECHL: Wheeling Nailers

MLB
Pittsburgh Pirates

I Am A Sports Lover

I like all team sports. There are 3 sports that I don't follow as much(hockey. football(American style) and soccer). I think this is because I have never played them.
I think that team sports can be a very important thing in any child's life, especially children w/E. Being part of a team can provide a lot of support and friendships that a child might not experience if they didn't participate! I know several people w/E who were team equipment managers so that they could experience being a member of a team!
Playing team sports showed me that you can compete as an individual as well as a team member while you are a member of a team, so playing team sports lets a person experience both types(team and individual) of sports at the same time!
One sport that is played in Australia that I love watching is rugby. I find it so much more entertaining than America-style football!
Wrestling(amateur style) has always been my favorite sport. Participating in wrestling allows a person w/E to release so many different feeling that can be detrimental to a person w/E(anger, frustration, lack of self esteem etc). :clap:

acshuman

I do not like any sports or teams. Sports were not part of my childhood so I never developed an appreciation for them.

I like all team sports. There are 3 sports that I don't follow as much(hockey. football(American style) and soccer). I think this is because I have never played them.
I think that team sports can be a very important thing in any child's life, especially children w/E. Being part of a team can provide a lot of support and friendships that a child might not experience if they didn't participate! I know several people w/E who were team equipment managers so that they could experience being a member of a team!
Playing team sports showed me that you can compete as an individual as well as a team member while you are a member of a team, so playing team sports lets a person experience both types(team and individual) of sports at the same time!
One sport that is played in Australia that I love watching is rugby. I find it so much more entertaining than America-style football!
Wrestling(amateur style) has always been my favorite sport. Participating in wrestling allows a person w/E to release so many different feeling that can be detrimental to a person w/E(anger, frustration, lack of self esteem etc). :clap:

acshuman

Before I was diagnosed with Grey Matter Heterotopia, I was a rugby league player for 6 years...had to stop playing because of doctors orders after injuring my neck in a heavy tackle. I have a feeling that had I been diagnosed at an earlier age, I may never have played Rugby League because my family would have been too protective.

Can People w/E Play Sports Safely?

I had played baseball from the time I was in grade school. It was when I went out for wrestling that I went to see my doctor to get a physical to OK my participation in sports that the doctor said 'Playing sports may actually be good for you and your E, because playing sports may just calm you down and release some of your stress.' I think that playing sports helped me in that way very much! :clap:

acshuman

I've never played sports, but I am a big fan of the Denver Broncos since I live here in the mile high city. For you folks on the other side of the ocean, the Broncos are an American NFL team. We won the Super Bowl last year!! :woot:

A great movie was released several years ago about how a dr. from Nigeria came to the U.S. and discovered that playing football can damage the brain. Of course, the NFL didn't want to hear him and tried to get him out. The movie is "Concussion". There is more evidence that playing football and even soccer can cause concussions and TBI (traumatic brain injury) that will last a life time. Of course, the NFL didn't want the word out!

Check this out:
www.protectthebrain.org

Wrestling(amateur style) has always been my favorite sport. Participating in wrestling allows a person w/E to release so many different feeling that can be detrimental to a person w/E(anger, frustration, lack of self esteem etc).

Wrestling, IMO, is such a primitive sport, as is boxing. Looks like two animals fighting in a cage

Its GAA mainly for me, Football, hurling and Handball.

But I do follow the Irish rugby team, Wallabies and all Blacks

Is Wrestling Just A Primitive Fight?

I know that there are many people who say this about a wrestling match on a mat, but the fact is that amateur wrestling is something that has a lot of planning and movements in it that take a lot of practice and knowledge as to whether a wrestler can make a move and not put themselves into a position where they are worse off than before making the move! It may look like fighting to some people, but it has a lot of moves and counter moves that take place. There is a lot of strategy and counter-strategy taking place in an amateur wrestling match! It is NOT all about physical fighting! A person's mind is used a lot while they are wrestling in an amateur match!
Someone who tries to use just their strength to defeat their opponent is most likely going to be taken down onto their back while their shoulders are being pinned to the mat! Strength will not beat someone who is skilled at making the necessary moves!
Professional wrestling is what most people see and they think that amateur wrestling is the same thing. This is totally wrong. Many of the things that are done in a professional wrestling match would NOT be allowed in an amateur match. They would result in an immediate disqualification and loss for the wrestler doing them!

acshuman

I follow the Canucks which is a hockey team from Vancouver, British Columbia. Otherwise my sports watching is limited to big events like the Olympics, the Commonwealth Games, . . . things like that.

NFL
New York Giants

MLB
New York Yankees

NHL
New Jersey Devils

FIVB Beach Volleyball

# 1 Walsh Jennings/Ross [womens]
# 1 Lucena/Dalhausser [mens]
# 2 Gibb/Patterson [mens]

Bigman and his volleyball!! :)

I've lived in Dallas all my life and never liked the Cowboys. Dad and I always rooted against them. We cheered for the Steelers because they were so hated around here, lol. Back then I was a Houston Oiler fan. Now a days we are HUGE into fantasy football and don't cheer for particular teams necessarily, only certain players. Cint, what an amazing game that was on Thursday night. I nearly went to bed but so glad I stayed up!! :D

I've grown up watching the Texas Rangers baseball team. Still love them, though lots of bandwagon fans around here and only like them if they are doing well. And they sure are right now. I believe they are the 2nd best team in the MLB!! Hopefully they will do well in the playoffs.

I don't really care much for hockey or basketball, but will cheer for the San Antonio Spurs (basketball) and not quite sure why, lol.

I do love the olympics. The TV stays in the olympics for the whole duration. Go team USA!

Last edited:
In the Boston area you're legally required to root for the Red Sox, the Pats, the Celts, the Bruins, The Revolution... :) I obey the law, but I'm not rabid. For instance: I believe that Tom Brady WAS futzing with the footballs on the sly. (I also believe that the 4-game penalty was overkill). I'd rather watch a game with my friends on TV in the local bar then attend the actual sporting event, so I'm a lazy-*ss fan too.

Cint, what an amazing game that was on Thursday night. I nearly went to bed but so glad I stayed up!!

YES!! The BRONCOS still won, without Peyton Manning and our brand new quarterback!

In the Boston area you're legally required to root for the Red Sox, the Pats, the Celts, the Bruins, The Revolution... :)

Sure! And I believe you're required to feed all of us more of your bull, just like all New England Patriots do! ;) just kidding!

Nakamova said:
: I believe that Tom Brady WAS futzing with the footballs on the sly. (I also believe that the 4-game penalty was overkill).

I believe that Tom was messing with the footballs, too, so he has to pay the price! He knows better. Notice they tried to put Peyton Manning out for something, but he didn't do it.

Nakamova said:
I'd rather watch a game with my friends on TV in the local bar then attend the actual sporting event, so I'm a lazy-*ss fan too.

As far as a football game, so would I, but I do like going to the Colorado Rockies games in the evenings. It is beautiful country here. Plus a Rockies game is much less expensive than a damned football game. Anywhere from $150-$500 to go to a Broncos game.

Ah no not Arsnal, West ham I like but Man City are a team wonder how United will do.

That back up quarterback is probably the most handsome athlete I've ever seen in my lifetime.
CathyAnn, I'm with you on that. He looks a bit like Zac Efron, no? I appreciate TB12's skills, but always been turned off by his personality. JimmyG seems to be more my type (though 30 years too young.) ;)

FedUp, I used to watch more soccer, but I found that it made me really tense. I would get wound when it looked like a team would score, then let down when they didn't. Over and over again. American Football does the opposite -- it's basically designed to produce scores and "progress" is made on almost every play. It's also designed for TV, so there are a lot of breaks in the tension.

When I watched soccer I was a big fan of Fiorentina in Italy. Okay, I admit it, I was a big fan of Gabriel Batistuta. CathyAnn see https://www.google.com/search?q=Gab...Q9YTtuozPAhXD5iYKHaJKCzMQsAQIKA&dpr=1#imgrc=_

I sorry but bunch of whimps compared to ruby players.now I wait for the flak

Back
Top Bottom