Your pet's name

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

valeriedl

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
How did your pet get their name?

One of my cats stayed with the name he had from the humane society, Baxter. The other my husband renamed Tinsley, a member of a band that I like.

When I lived at home we had strays that we took in. My mom named one of them after a high school boyfriend that I had because he had red hair and was a little chubby. When one of my friends got mairred by high school ex was there and she told him about the cat's name - I was so embarrassed I could have killed her!!!

I have 3 pets here. One of them we got during the Superbowl between the Giants and Patriots. We could not think of a name so my husband and I said we would name him after the quarterback of the winning team! Good thing Eli Manning won, because my little buddy Eli would sound like a wimp with the name Brady

His brothers' name is Sly, and just for that reason, Sly and bad I tell you, then my tiny little female, her name is Bella, we did not name her because I had to go rescue her before she ended up with the wrong family! So we just left her name as is!

When my parents got their dog Lilly the people they got Lilly from had 3 pups for sale & 3 children, each child got to look after a pup until it was sold. Lilly was the only female pup & the child who looked after Lilly was a little girl about 5. The little girl said to my parents "Her name is Lilly & you aren't aloud to change it" LMAO. My parents kept the name & I said to them at less they didn't have to think of a name for her LMAO.

My parents got another pup last year which the owners were calling Marty so they just kept that name to. Unfortunately Marty got hit by a car a few weeks back & got killed :(, he was only about 7 months old.

As well as the dog my parents have chooks, rabbits, ducks & a drake. My Dad names all the chooks, rabbits & ducks & they have some crazy names lol. I did have a rabbit Sooky & his parents were 2 of my parents older rabbits. I named him Sooky because when he was little he was more affectionate then the rest of the litter & if you didn't pay attention to him he looked like he would sulk lmao. He lived with my parents so I would just go visit him when I was at my parents place but he died last year.

Last edited:
I rescued my 100 lb great Pyrenees from a website I saw 5 yrs ago. They called her Whitney. For those that don't know, these are big, slow, fluffy white dogs and not even close to Whitney Houston... So we changed it to Winnie. She's beautiful and looks like a polar bear, wish I could share pics...

We adopted our 22 lb male dachshund Tex from the animal shelter. As soon as we brought him home he ran up into the kids fort and slid down the slide, then came in and curled up on my couch! Since he thought he was the shiz, we figured he needed a big name, haha.

2 guinea pigs. Peanut.. Then a yr later came Coco. I originally called that one Spike but eventually got out voted. :p

I have a female budgie called Bob. When i first got her she was too young to be able to tell the sex, so when I found out she was female the name stayed the same. Long version is Bobbitalulah :p

I've also previously had a Syrian hamster called Tifa, a Chinese dwarf hamster called Hayley, budgies called Sky, Chroi and Argo and fish called Link and Zelda :)

Our husky is named Missy. Her full name is Hudson's Siberian Miss. Hudson is the name of the kennel she was bred at in Tennessee.

My dachshund name is Elvis. He is hound dog, has black hair and the left side of his upper lip gets stuck on his teeth.

My husband and I named our Australian Cattle dog, Charley because she was born the weekend hurricane Charley hit Florida, where we live. Of course I gave her a middle name too, Barley.

I have two parakeets. Shiro is the oldest, I looked it up in one of my books. Ironically , it means white in Japanese, and she's white.
Pai (shortened from paikea) is the name of my favorite movie character from Whale Rider.

My grandma and I laugh and say that she's got an invisible cat. My grandparents have 2 cats, Blue and Gracie. My grandpap always calls Grasie Chrissy so grandma and I decided that Chrissy is an invisible cat that only my grandpap can see.

Chrissy is the biggest trouble maker too. She will go from my house to theirs and knock things over, pull all the klenex out of the box, get into things and generaly mess the place up. We know our cats are way to good to do any of this, so it's got to be Chrissy that does it all!

I hope Chrissy never makes it to your place CathyAnn31, she really get's around. She's so bad you can't believe it!!!

Riley is our 5 yo shepherd/lab mix we rescued. we didn't name her right away we wanted to see her personality..some one said after a few days of spoiling, "she's got the life of Riley" and there ya go. Wispy is our youngest daughter's cat...can't remember how she got that name. we had our son's cat Throttle..our son loves cars...he moved out with him. we also had Keeva..it is gaelic for princess I believe, she was mine, a fat calico, we gave her to our oldest duaghter when she moved. my baby is Opie,a 2 yo yorkie. I just love her. her official name, which I had nothing to do with is Optimus Prime. my family said such a little dog needed a big name...she was 2 lbs when we got her at 4 monts and is now almost 6 lbs. and they we afraid i would NA,e her princess or baby or something..so I was outvoted. lol let me tell you she thinks she's as big as Optimus Prime..she tries to take out Riley. lolol

Wow...everyone has some pretty good names (and reasoning behind the name). I'm impressed. I don't have a real great story but a great dog. Our 8 y/o Bulldog is named Ellie--after a name I found in a baby book. We like to call her Ellie Mae. :)
Years ago we had a dog that we named after the town we got he in. Midge came from Bamidgie, Minnesota. (I'm sure I spelled that wrong, but you get the point)
Katie

I have a Shar Pei Lab mix named Sadie. She is 5 y/o and all lab even with the wrinkles she has. We have a lasa poo we took from friends who did'nt want her. Terible right. Her name is whisper. Believe me she does'nt live up to her name. Very high matainence. Has to go to the Beuaty shop every 3 weeks. I had a cat when I was younger who's name was KC which stood for.... wait for it... Kitty Cat!

Last edited:
My gray cat followed me home fifteen years ago. He looked like a Junipurr to me, it seems to fit a feline. I call him Juno for short. My black & white cat jumped on the back bumper of my mother's car fourteen years ago without her knowledge and she drove it almost a mile before stopping at the end of the street. I heard an odd noise on the back of the car and saw a kitten. So I had to keep her and name her Stowaway. She responds to Stowie.

I do not have a pet at the moment but many years ago at an Highland Games you could win a goldfish,most were already upsides down due to oxygen starvation and if you did get one alive three days was the maximum shelf live.

Well,i won one and i named him Bloop Bloop because of the wee bubbles he let out off his mouth,hey i was like eight at the time,my parents suggested diffrent names but i stuck with Bloop Bloop,he was cool,he lasted two years did old Bloop Bloop,R.I.P lol.

Wilf

nicholasscott21-albums-296-wilf-picture2407t-untitled-19.jpg

My dog was a rescued dog. We came together when he was one and a half years old. His original name was Learch. I went to the rescue home intending to get a black and white dog and I was to name him Wilf.

We were best friends until he passed on at thirteen. I miss him but somehow feel him around me.

At the same time as having wilf I had four cats, Joey, Josie, Georgie and Naughtie. and a terrapin named Harry who reached the age of twenty two!

Sadly they have all passed on now and where I live I am not allowed pets.
It's a shame because they give unconditional love and are very therapeutic.

I chose names which I liked except Naughtie cat, he was simply naughtie so that's how he got his name!

:)

Back
Top Bottom