[News] Article about epilepsy stigma in the NYTimes

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Epilepsy Association of Sierra Leone story in NYT

I was really glad to see that the New York Times story published today (August 30, 2011) was already linked to on the News section of this site. Is any participant in CopingWithEpilepsy working with either of the two groups mentioned in the story?

One is an epilepsy project run by the sole neurologist in the whole country, and the other is the Epilepsy Association of Sierra Leone, which has wonderful plans to educate the population. Children are frequently expelled from school after a seizure, people lose their jobs if they have seizures at work, and when non-medical treatments are sought, they can be dreadful. For example, two liters of kerosene were forced down the throat of one teenager in the mistaken belief it would drive out demons!

If anyone reading this is working with the Sierra Leoneans who are trying to change the lives of people with seizure disorders there? I hope they'll write reply here with how we can help.

Last edited:
It definitely gives some perspective on the "stigma" we face. It's no fun where- and whenever it occurs, but it seems particularly terrible as described in the article.

Thanks for posting it, Nakamova. I didn't know you'd done that -- I found it by clicking on the "News" tab. If I could see where one does a "thanks" I'd add mine to those who've already expressed their appreciation to you!

Notably, the crucial issues for folks in Sierra Leone with seizure disorders are similar to those around the world, but the consequences of not addressing those issues can be much more severe on a personal level:

...the priorities that she and Dr. Lisk have set in their own programs: raising awareness that epilepsy is a medical condition that can be treated; having a functioning health care system with facilities patients can reach; training health workers in epilepsy care; and offering anticonvulsive medicine at low or no cost.

If people are interested in the Epilepsy Treatment Service in Sierra Leone, or want to support it, they can read more here: http://masl.freecharity.org.uk/?page_id=78

Back
Top Bottom