[Info] COQ10 & Headaches

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RobinN

Super Mom
Reaction score
As a long time headache sufferer, these types of articles catch my eye. I have been lucky to have had no more migraines since taking magnesium. However, this supplement (not sure if it is considered a mineral or ?) was recommended at the same time as the magnesium. I have been hearing more and more about it, and I just might add it back into my supplement list, and also Rebecca's.

Dr Blaylock sent some encouraging information on headache relief.
Rely on CoQ10 to Relieve Headaches
In last month’s newsletter I discussed migraine and tension headaches. It appears that excess glutamate, either from the diet or the tissues themselves, is playing a major role.
While migraine headaches can be very difficult to control, tension headaches have been the most resistant to treatment and their cause has been elusive. New studies indicate that there may be a strong link between fibromyalgia and tension headaches. That link appears to be glutamate excitotoxicity.
One study found that 70 percent of people with treatment-resistant fibromyalgia improved significantly when treated with a glutamate receptor-blocking drug.
To date, no one has conducted a well-controlled study to see if glutamate blockers, such as dextromethorphan (a cough medicine), can improve tension headaches.
Prolonged use of CoQ10 can significantly improve drug-resistant migraine headaches. There is some evidence that it may also help tension headaches.
I have used it in a few patients during acute migraine headache attacks and had dramatic termination of the attacks — but it takes high doses. In one case of a severe migraine I gave 600 mg as a single dose and within 15 minutes all the pain had subsided. Using the same dose with tension headaches has had some positive results as well.
We know that hypoglycemia is a major trigger for both types of headaches and that hypoglycemia raises glutamate levels, thus triggering excitotoxicity. CoQ10 can reduce excitotoxicity by supplying tissues with a rapid energy supply.
In addition, it neutralizes free radicals, reduces excess iron in cells, and reduces lipid peroxidation. The problem with most previous studies is that the dosages used were too low.

Interesting stuff! I think I remember reading that CoQ10 showed some promise with Parkinson's patients, but I could be wrong about that.

Does the article mention if there any risks to taking a higher dose of CoQ10?

This is all that was written in the article, but he might answer that question or there might be some info online.

Back
Top Bottom