[Research] Dangers of Valproate for pregnant women

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
According to HealthDay News -- When a pregnant woman takes the epilepsy medication valproate, her child's intelligence may be lowered for at least three years, and possibly beyond, a new study suggests.

Toddlers of moms who took the epilepsy drug valproate during pregnancy had lower IQs than the children of women who used other anti-seizure medicines, according to a new study.

According to the New England Journal of Medicine, researchers found that when tested at age 3, children who were exposed to valproate in the womb had IQ scores up to nine points lower than children exposed to other epilepsy medications in utero.

The problem is, many women with epilepsy can only get good control of their seizures with valproate.

"We're not saying never use valproate, but try other drugs first," said the study's lead author, Dr. Kimford Meador, a professor of neurology at Emory University School of Medicine in Atlanta. "We don't think that valproate should be used as a first choice for any woman of childbearing age. Other drugs should be used first."

"Don't stop taking any medications without talking to your doctor," Meador stressed. "But, if you're on this medication, ask your doctor about it."

While the majority of children born to women with epilepsy are normal, animal studies have suggested that exposure to epilepsy medications might be associated with "cognitive and behavioral difficulties," according to background information in the study.

To assess what effects these medications might have on babies, the Neurodevelopmental Effects of Antiepileptic Drugs (NEAD) study was begun. The study includes 309 children from 25 epilepsy centers in the United Kingdom and the United States. All of the children's mothers were taking one of four epilepsy medications during pregnancy, including valproate, carbamazapine, lamotrigine and phenytoin.

This is why it is sooo important for women to be taking folic acid, even before they know they are pregnant. And why breastfeeding if at all possible is also important. Breastfeeding can increase IQ by 20 points, even if your on AED's.

This is why it is sooo important for women to be taking folic acid, even before they know they are pregnant. And why breastfeeding if at all possible is also important. Breastfeeding can increase IQ by 20 points, even if your on AED's.

My Neuro told me this too but told me the only risks with taking Depakote while pg were spina bifida and cleft lip/palate. When my daughter was born with Valproate Syndrome 5 yrs ago he told me he'd never heard of such a thing and that my daughters pediatrician (he diagnosed my daughter) because he knew I was taking the depakote.
What a moron.

Everyone should take Folic Acid, every day. It helps the body make healthy new cells. And for women who may get pregnant, it is really important. When a woman has enough Folic Acid in her body before and during pregnancy, it can prevent major birth defects of her baby's brain or spine.

Foods with Folic Acid in them include leafy green vegetables, fruits, dried beans, peas and nuts. Enriched breads, cereals and other grain products also contain folic acid. If you don't get enough folic acid from the foods you eat, you can also take it as a dietary supplement.

My Neuro told me this too but told me the only risks with taking Depakote while pg were spina bifida and cleft lip/palate. When my daughter was born with Valproate Syndrome 5 yrs ago he told me he'd never heard of such a thing and that my daughters pediatrician (he diagnosed my daughter)didn't know a thing and said that only because he knew I was taking the depakote.
What a moron.(The neuro.)

Everyone should take Folic Acid, every day. It helps the body make healthy new cells. And for women who may get pregnant, it is really important. When a woman has enough Folic Acid in her body before and during pregnancy, it can prevent major birth defects of her baby's brain or spine.

Foods with Folic Acid in them include leafy green vegetables, fruits, dried beans, peas and nuts. Enriched breads, cereals and other grain products also contain folic acid. If you don't get enough folic acid from the foods you eat, you can also take it as a dietary supplement.

Yes! Very true! Also that a woman who has epilepsy, (pregnant or not,) should take more folic acid than is needed, and 10x that of what a pregnant woman should take.
I did all this too with both my girls and took Depakote with both also but it ended up differently the second time, unfortunately. But I wouldn't trade her for the world!

Just wanted everyone to know that just because a woman who takes Depakote while pregnant can still have a child with AND without Valproic sydrome. Folic acid is not used to prevent this so don't think that it is a catch all. :)

Back
Top Bottom