[Research] Deep Brain Stimulation Research News

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

suebear

Veteran
Reaction score
I've been doing some research regarding the deep brain stimulator and happen to come across an article discussing the latest of findings and had to provide the site. It speaks of patients who had frontal lobe seizures and actually had been relieved by 90% or more (i.e. seizure free) because of this device. I was quite impressed as to how it performed.

I don't know if this can provide help to any one here but I just had to share it as I wanted to provide the latest of information which I came across.

https://www.aesnet.org/sites/default/files/file_attach/epcu-14-2-76 Clnical Commentary Jehi.pdf

Thanks suebear.

I didn't see it say anything about relieving frontal lobe seizures by 90% though. What I did see it say was
Among the five patients with frontal lobe epilepsy, only one patient had >50% improvement in seizure frequency during the blind period. In the long-term extension phase, two patients with frontal lobe epilepsy had >50% improvement in seizure frequency

Did I miss something?

Thanks suebear.

I didn't see it say anything about relieving frontal lobe seizures by 90% though. What I did see it say was

Did I miss something?

yes.. read the blue section... that has information about how the DBS has worked on patients with Epilepsy. It states the prior testing on a small number of patients in number of testing.

" Among the five patients with frontal lobe epilepsy, only one patient had 50% improvement in seizure frequency during the blind period. In the long-term extension phase, two patients with frontal lobe epilepsy had >50% improvement in seizure frequency. All six patients with generalized epilepsy had 50% improvement in seizure frequency during the blind period. In the long-term extension phase, five of the six patients showed 50% improvement in the frequency of major seizures (one became seizure free, one had 99% improvement, and three had 60–95% reduction in seizure frequency) "

Something you must also keep in mind that I have been stating each and every time I speak about the DBS for Epilepsy patients. Every seizure case is different and only, ONLY the doctor can say after preliminary consultation that the patient is going to be a candidate for that surgery before he or she can even be considered to begin the testing for that procedure. There is a certain checklist all patients must go through and only a neurological surgeon who has been medically trained and certified to work with the DBS for Epileptics is aware of what that list is.

Last edited:
My quote was from the blue section yet I didn't see anything about frontal lobe seizures being cured by 90%.

According to your quote-
one had 99% improvement, and three had 60–95% reduction in seizure frequency

I think it would be more accurate to say it spoke of a 60-95% improvement.

Still an interesting study. It's too bad how these studies have to be so small because so few people use DBS yet.

Back
Top Bottom