Depakote and IQ

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

flinnigan

New
Reaction score
I saw a news piece yesterday on World News Tonight that babies born to women who are taking Depakote for migraines. seizures and or depression have been found to have below average IQ's. They of course cautioned you not to go off your medication but talk to your Dr. Did any one else see this?

Flinnigan:

Hello.:) Yes, I read this in my local newspaper. And, Dr. Lewis Holmes, director of the North American Antiepileptic Disease Pregnancy Registry said, "We've known this drug is a bad actor for a long time." Now, with this info, why doesn't the FDA remove it from the market? Is it that lucrative of a medicine even though it's linked to causing birth defects?

They don't remove it from the market because it does help lots of people. Yes, there should be a warning...and docs should tell their female patients that are on it....but in the end, like in everything else, it's the patients vigilance that matters most. In the UK, there was a class action lawsuit because of this very issue concerning IQ.

Back
Top Bottom